Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just recieved my new redfield 2x7, and i'm using the std. weaver #63 base, and weaver low rings. it looks real nice sitting on top of my old beater 30-30. but the trouble is the power adj. ring hits the base, but i can file that down just a touch. and i wanted it mounted as low as i could. i love the eye relief, the front ring could stand to come back a little, i may recut a notch and set it back, cause it real close to the taper on the scope, and i was also thinking about removing a little off the bottom of the mount to lower it even more, but i may be wasting time doing that. just wondering what other's have done to get it mounted lower, or what mounts was used? i have a leupold 1pc. base and std. low rings on another 336, but it's just a little to high for me. i would like to be able to just shoulder the rifle, and be looking though the scope, like i can with the factory sights, but there's no way i could get it that low. ;D

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I've heard the Warne Maxima Bases are really low. That might be a solution.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I used low Leupold Rifleman rings with the 63b base. The power ring and rear sight clear by a hair which is exactly what I wanted, so I guess it is not as low as you want yours but suits me well.

Like Tatersoup says, check out the Warnes.....they sell very thin two piece mounts which should bring it down about as low as you can get, assuming the eye relief works for you. I looked at them but decided to start with the old standby 63b first and for me it is okay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On my 336 I used the Weaver Grand Slam #S466 bases with Weaver Quad-lock High rings to mount my Simmons Pro-Diamond 4x32 (with flip-up lens covers). With the rear sight folded the lens covers just clear it. Sorry pics are to big to post right now.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Get a Leupold Rifleman base for the 336. It's a bit longer than the 63B, has an extra slot for the rings which gives you more leeway to move the scope, and it has MUCH better screws than the 63B. All for less than $10.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i used what i had, i just filed down the rear part of the base, about the last 1/2 inch. i took it down about .030 or best i could tell. but it clears fine. i had already removed the rear sight, cause i was using a williams peep. but there's about a 1/4 inch between the barrel and the scope. this is probally the lowest that one could mount this scope, i could get it a little lower by taking some off the bottom of the base, but it would not amount to much. so i'm happy with it as is, now it's time to bore sight it, and of to the range. but that's gona have to wait till after vacation. wish i could post pic's of what i've done, it turned out real nice. but that new scope on top of my old truck gun, beater 30-30, look's like a $100 sadle on a $2 mule! ;D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the one piece weaver base with the weaver low rings and the redfield, I found it was actually making contact with the scope body at the raised part on the scope where the adjustment turrets are. Required a decent bit of filing... just my experience. I didn't notice it at first and was lucky I didn't damage scope when tightening, was wondering why I couldn't seem to rotate the scope far enough to get it fully vertical...

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I just installed a Leupold 2-7x33 rifleman, similar to the Redfield.

Leupold Rifleman base, Burris Zee q/d low rings. I had to lap the rings.

336ss-ltd .35 rem

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have thought about lapping mine, but i don't have the tool. but a fellow that i used to work with does, i'll have to hit him up. i don't know that it would make much difference, but it can't hurt either.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
357 marlin said:
i have thought about lapping mine, but i don't have the tool. but a fellow that i used to work with does, i'll have to hit him up. i don't know that it would make much difference, but it can't hurt either.
I wouldn't bother lapping the weaver rings, there is no need to.
It's the rock solid steel machined rings that need the lapping!!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I used the Warne Maxima rings and two piece bases, but I think I want to switch to a long, one piece base. The eye relief is too close once you get the adjustment ring clear of the mount. I put a slip on recoil pad on there to see if the eye relief was better, and it is. But the rings are nice and low.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts