Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've removed the locking nuts from my Redding ST die & turned it in 'till it stopped. Still no good crimp. Is the 1.0625" tool head thickness tooo much for Redding dies?

Reactions: msharley

· Premium Member
17,134 Posts
Die problems

Hey Walstr,

Have yet to have a problem with Redding dies, on my 550's.

Have a set up for 22-250 AI, and been using a Redding Profile Crimp Die for 45/70, since '85.

With some die makers, I have had to use the 1" Dillon Lock Nut, on the bottom of the tool head. Works just fine.

Do all of my loading on 550 B's, or 1050.

Later, Mark

Attachments

· Registered
266 Posts
I'm using a Redding Profile Crimp die for 45-70 on my Dillon 550b. It works just fine.

Are you by any chance using brass from Hornady polymer-tipped bullets. That brass is trimmed to 2.040" instead of the normal 2.105". That's about 1 turn of the die in the block.

· Registered
38 Posts
It's been said before but bears repeating!
1- MAke sure brass is standard length
2- IF need be put lock not on underside, get a thin one from dillon or a good old school hardware store

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The brass R-P, WW or PMC. I'm trying to crimp the hardcast bullets from the Lyman #497153. They're dropping at .461" and 394g-398g. Could the very front band be too narrow? What bullets are you referring to in your experience? Thanks for your time.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neuman: My Redding crimp die is an ST, which I understand is a "roll crimp". How is their "Profile Crimp" die different relative to use on my .45-70 case? Thanks for your time.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I did find some "short" Hornady, apparently from one of my ebay auctions. Now I know a more, too late, but still in good time for the future!

· Registered
280 Posts
I've got some custom crimp dies I had made by C&H 25 years ago. They ran out of thread for the lock nut on top . So I drilled & tapped the station that holds my crimp die and use a set screw to hold it where I want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.