Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Red headed stepchild. OK most of you saw my 55 336SC .35 Rem that I customized. Gun Trigger Air gun Airsoft Airsoft gun
Absolutely love this gun.

Well I just won an auction for a 51 336SC .35 Rem. What should I do to this one ? Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun
I am thinking a black gun this time. I saw a post a couple weeks ago and a guy had blackened his stock with Tea bags or something like that. Anyhow I loved the look and think I would like to try that this time along with a polished blued/black barrel. Purist have no fear this one has a side mounted scope mount and sling mounts so it is an abused old girl already.:hmmmm:
Let's hear it guys and girls.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Click the second line in my signature. Scroll through those links and find the MO post about ebonizing the stock by nbh40 I think is his name. I believe that might be the thread you're talking about. Of course a lot of folks go the truck bed liner route as well.
Thanks Eric, that is the post I was talking about.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Only thing better than having an S.C. in .35 is having two S.C.'s in .35. Good luck on your next project!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I might be interested in trading you 35 for 35. Assuming yours is side mount drilled, and not top tapped. Mine is factory tapped.

If you are interested, drop me a PM and we can discuss particulars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just finished ebonizing a pine table. I soaked half of a steel wool pad in a quart of vinegar for 24 hours. I wanted a dark grey color on the pine and it looks really cool. On walnut you should expect black with some possible purple undertones. I have read you can add stong black tea in this mix also.

I also used ebony min wax stain on a project Winchester 94 to darken the walnut. Used 16 coats of tung oil over it, dura coated the metal flat black. Just sold that gun so I can't send a pick, but sold it for 3x what I had in the rifle. It ended up super cool.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might be interested in trading you 35 for 35. Assuming yours is side mount drilled, and not top tapped. Mine is factory tapped.

If you are interested, drop me a PM and we can discuss particulars.
405765546 This is the GB listing number if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Honestly, I'd leave er like she is.... fine looking rifle.
Agreed! Good lookin just like it is...:tee:

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Man... I have to admit, you're killin' me... LOL! I guess my old school mentality is showing regardless, but I'd be more inclined to customize/modify newer Remlins or perhaps later model Marlins, not fine older JM rifles (even if somewhat molested).. it almost hurts.. :biggrin:
However, I'm sure you'll do a fine job and good luck to you; enjoy your project!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man... I have to admit, you're killin' me... LOL! I guess my old school mentality is showing regardless, but I'd be more inclined to customize/modify newer Remlins or perhaps later model Marlins, not fine older JM rifles (even if somewhat molested).. it almost hurts.. :biggrin:
However, I'm sure you'll do a fine job and good luck to you; enjoy your project!
Can't buy a Remlin for what I got this for. 277.11 on GB. That huge scope mount stuck on the side of the receiver should really hurt you then.
Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Revolver

The way I look at it if I dress em up and make em look good again maybe someone will buy it and use it again or at least give it a place in the safe. The guy bidding against me might have thrown it behind the seat of his truck to become a rusty beater. It's not like it is a collectors item that might be worth a bunch down the road. It's 63 years old now and only worth 277.11

It's not like I did anything that wasn't reversable to the Red gun. A little paint stripper to the metal will remove the Duracoat from the barrel and there are tons of reproduction stocks available. Or I can go over to BuffaloBobs and repossess all of my old parts.

Reactions: myflatline

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
She is a beauty just the way it sits but it is your rifle and there is nothing wrong with customizing it!!! Whatever you decide to do I would love to see the finished product!!! I love the red headed stepchild she looks purdy!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.