Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All

Due to the condition of my eyesight after cataract surgery, I have problems with most iron sights. Therefore, I am planning to put some kind of optic on my Marlin 60. It will be used mostly for plinking so I was thinking of a x1 red dot of some kind. What do you folks find best, the round or the rectangular scopes, and what size.

I am thinking of getting a telescopic sight as there are many on sale at CDNN right now. What power and reticle would y'all recommend.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The problem I have with red dot sights is that with most of them the dot is so darned BIG! Something on the order of 3 to 4 MOA, which translates to 3 or 4 inches at 100 yards, or 3/4 or 1" at 25 yards. For me, that just covers up too much of the target for precision shooting. I'd opt for a scope of no more than 4X or 6X.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
LVSTEVE,

I'v got the same problem with iron sights,tried a couple red-dot scopes,like pisgah said the dot is just too damned big on the less expensive models,not to mention those costly batterys.I settled for a Tasco Bantam 2.5 power shotgun scope,the long eye releife lets you shoot with both eyes open.The circleX helps me pick-up and bust beer bottles thrown in the air and with the fine crosshairs I can still pick 22 hulls off the fence.(Marlin 989 M2,much like a 60)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
mudpuppy said:
LVSTEVE,

I'v got the same problem with iron sights,tried a couple red-dot scopes,like pisgah said the dot is just too damned big on the less expensive models,not to mention those costly batterys.I settled for a Tasco Bantam 2.5 power shotgun scope,the long eye releife lets you shoot with both eyes open.The circleX helps me pick-up and bust beer bottles thrown in the air and with the fine crosshairs I can still pick 22 hulls off the fence.(Marlin 989 M2,much like a 60)
I use a red dot on my shotgun, but again, like the others, find it to big for fine target shooting. Glad to find another shooter who can bust beer bottles in the air! Only problem is, I do it with my shotgun, never have been able to hit it with a .22! :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Some days I do pretty good,some days I can't hit a bull in the A$$ with a snow shovel,but it's allways fun.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'd add that a tapered crosshair on the scope always seemed to draw
me to the target better. Also, they used to make a wide angle type scope
which might enhance your optics. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
LVSteve:

I'd recommend a scope of 4x with duplex or tapered crosshairs. If you want a better view go for a variable such as a 2x7 or 3x9. I like Weaver scopes or Simmons as I have both and have had absolutely no problems with either. They're reasonable in cost and bright, as well as good at holding their zero.
Of course you can go to any grade/make scope that you want. I've had excellent success with mine. I favor Weaver and like I've said before, that's what I have on my 60SS. Shoots great. As the other guys mentioned, red dot is not fine enough for me or my shooting needs. Hope this helps.

GOOD SHOOTING LVSteve! :)

Range Finder

·
Registered
463 Posts
I put a red dot on my Sportster 22 this week. At the range, after zeroing it, I was able to to hit popcans and shotgun shells at 25 yds. This week end will tell if it's "a minute of jackrabbit" gun!. I practiced alot with both eyes open and I did pretty good ( I though )! :wink:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
How about peep (receiver) sights or ghost sights...I am tempted to try them on my truck carried .22.

LVSteve; your eyes had cataracts...mine are just OLD, so I have been using scopes for several years now.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced receiver sight setup for .22 grooves ?

I hate to spend too much before I know if it's going to work...

·
Registered
18 Posts
red dot on mod 60

You can hardly see the red dot on the pic. I like the red dot within 40-50 yards. Anything farther gets a little harder to hit. it sure looks nice though.

does it work???

:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts