any one have one?
never had a crossbow and have been looking at these two at a local store

thinking i might want one, mainly for target, but hunting also

thanks
john

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
It's been a few days, so I will throw what I know your way, although I do not own either of these.
Barnett makes a decent crossbow, but just as with a compound bow, you get what you pay for.
I used a friends Barnett Quad 400 for one deer season following shoulder surgery. It was HEAVY when it came to spot and stalk, but because of its weight, when it came to shooting , it held on target very nicely, was fairly quiet on the shot and with the crank for drawing, it was only 17#s worth of effort to draw the 150# limbs.
I see that the Recruit model weighs less than seven pounds, so I won't know how it will hold on target, but I assume it will be easy to carry.
One suggestion I will make from experience is to carry a bolt with a field tip in your quiver. When your done hunting you will need to discharge the bow and you must use a bolt. Otherwise if you fire it without one, it may be catastrophic to your health and definitely damaging to your crossbow. Hope this helps.
Andrew

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
My Dad has the Recruit and it is a nice xbow for the price. They sell a solid bolt specifically used to discharge your xbow when done hunting.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My son-in-law just bought a Beowulf crossbow for about $350. from Sportsman's Guide. It shoots and functions quite well indeed. Should prove to be a fine deer killing tool.

TR

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks,
I just came home with the Terrain CXB from Cabbalas 225.00
didn't want to go any higher in price because its just for fun for me, and it dipped into my 357 red hawk funds,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts