Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the 158g XTP-HP recovered from a deer.

Same bullet from the back side.

Here's the four XTP-FPs recovered from deer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The XTP-HP was from my Blackhawk, and was loaded to about 1350 fps or so. The FPs were from a rifle, and were around 1700 fps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for reposting that one Jerry! I just can't get enough of the ballistics stuff! I would like to see more pictures of peoples recovered bullets. It sure helps me decide which to try out before I buy. Do you have any pics of the Remington bullets you used this last season on deer? I haven't settled on a load yet for next season and want to start narrowing down my bullet choices and want to build some loads soon!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the Remingtons went right on through! LOL!

I'd say it'll just be a matter of shooting a few more deer with them before I get a bullet back. I think I'm gonna bump up the velocity with this Lil' Gun powder on those 158g SPs for this next deer season. I'm reasonably sure they can handle a starting velocity of at least 1800 fps(maybe a little more) before they start trying to come apart.

I'm planning on running those bullets through a good many tests again this summer, and I'll try to keep a little better record of how it goes, so I can post the results here(with pictures).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Impressed !!

I'm really impressed,with the performance of the .357 in a Marlin !

With heavy hard cast 170 gr.s it would be a Great Deer /Black bear Combo.
I may just have to break the Piggy bank and purchase me one.

Buckeye

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet you'll fall in love with one if you get it Buckeye.

I can't comment on bear performance with these rifles, but for deer sized game, they're great. You don't really have to use any bullet heavier than 158g for deer, but if you're thinking of shooting a bear with one, then I'd say you're on the right track with a heavy hard cast bullet.

It's very easy to get attatched to one of these little rifles.

Just ask Carwi! LOL!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jerry Lester said:
...It's very easy to get attatched to one of these little rifles...
I can attest to that! I bought a new 1894CP earlier this year. This is the most fun to shoot and my most favorite rifle I've ever had! I won't give this rifle up for nothin'! If you don't reload, Corbon and Buffalo Bore makes a very potent round for .357 Magnum that I would think would be good medicine for black bear.

Corbon 180gr Bonded Core Soft Point
Corbon 200gr Hard Cast Flat Point

Buffalo Bore 180gr Hard Cast LFN-GC

The Buffalo Bore is reported to produce 1851fps out of a Marlin 1894C which gives a muzzle energy of 1370ft/lbs

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Re: Impressed !!

Buckeye said:
I'm really impressed,with the performance of the .357 in a Marlin !

With heavy hard cast 170 gr.s it would be a Great Deer /Black bear Combo.
I may just have to break the Piggy bank and purchase me one.

Buckeye
If you are interested in heavy cast bullets, try the excellent Rock Island Ballistics 180 grain STCW. The maker used to post on Marlin Talk as El John O. He says they were designed to feed in a Marlin 1894, feature a .290 meplat and are cast at 21-22 BHN. 14.9 grains of Lil' Gun get them moving a touch over 1,700 fps average in my 1894C. If you're looking for penetration in a .357 magnum, it's going to be hard to do much better.

http://www.rockislandballistics.com/castbullets.htm

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yep ,it seems to be a winner ,i like my 45/70 but it gets a little hard on my joints after a dozen rounds,and my 30/30 is a lot of fun,but with the 357 theres a wide selection of loads ,and would be cheap to shoot.
I'm going to start looking this weekend,maybe i'll get me a trade worked up !

Buckeye

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well I got me a little Puma with a 16in. Barrel and a loop lever and a saddle ring.Hope to get to the range 2- morrow and break it in.

Buckeye

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
979 Posts
10-4 , I looked at a Marlin it seemed chunkie compared to the Puma and the the large loop was neat lookin and I thought ,what the heck!

Buckeye

1 - 13 of 13 Posts