Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an early 80's Marlin 783 22mag last week that had a Tasco 4x32 mounted on top. As I somewhat expected, the Tasco would not adjust at the range last weekend so I am in the market to replace and need advice. I have always been a Leupold fan but don't want to spend that much money. I intend to hunt coyotes and feral hogs with it, probably will zero at 50-75 yds. Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Have two Simmons 22Mag scopes 3X9 with adjustable objective lense on a pair of 22 squirrel guns. They are perfectly adequate, and balance the rifles well. These are a good scope for the price.

Have a Weaver V24 Varminter on my 783, a 6X24 power scope, with a adjustable large objective lense, usefull for zooming in on a squirrel's eye lashes, the gun does shoot that well. Its large, and overwhelms the rifle itself, the rig is kinda out of balance actually. The scope is worth, more than twice the rifle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would take a look at the Muellers great scopes for the money. The glass is clear as can be I have two have a 4x16 on my 880SQ and you can put 10 shots in a quarter at 50 with it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I second the vote for the simmons 22 mag scope. I have one on my 795. Performs just dandy and doesn't break the bank. I have no complaints about it.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners from New York!!!

I highly recommend Leupold scopes to everyone,!
The Leupold Rifleman series or VX1 in 2~7X33 is Excellent on a 22mag. I have about 5 or 6 of these and Love'em!!!
Are they a little pricey, Yep, But you get what you pay for with optics!!!

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
I mounted a Bushnell Banner 6X18 on my 783 and love it. It's now a 100 yard rifle that I shoot regularly at 300 yards. Fun, fun, fun. Enjoy yours, they are a great rimfire rifle.

1895gunner

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I mounted a Bushnell Banner 6X18 on my 783 and love it.
What rings are those 1895Gunner?

I shoot a fair number of predators with a rimfire, and almost any scope will see as far as a .22LR or WMR can be effective. I started with a 3X-9X on my 77/22 VBZ, as I used that for offhand shooting games, and it works well for that, and for groundhogs, I can see their ear hole at 75yds. Literally. But for predators, I've backed down on magnification a lot. When foxes and coyotes are coming in close, they are always in motion. I find that a 1.5X-4X to be much faster at finding them at 25-40yds, and when I'm calling I tend to leave the scope on 1.5X.

Honestly, my success rate is better as I often couldn't get on the critter in time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X40 side focus AO on my Savage 93 .22WMR. Great scope for that rifle, only drawback is it only focuses down to 50Y.
I have the same Bushnell as 1895G on my MKII, absolutely the best low dollar scope out there IMHO-very clear and bright.

Sorry the rifles are Savages, but this is about scopes.
My Marlin XT22 sports a BSA Contender 4-16X40 which been a great scope as well. Drawback on this one is thick cross hairs and large dots.

Best of luck finding what you like!

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
What rings are those 1895Gunner?

I shoot a fair number of predators with a rimfire, and almost any scope will see as far as a .22LR or WMR can be effective. I started with a 3X-9X on my 77/22 VBZ, as I used that for offhand shooting games, and it works well for that, and for groundhogs, I can see their ear hole at 75yds. Literally. But for predators, I've backed down on magnification a lot. When foxes and coyotes are coming in close, they are always in motion. I find that a 1.5X-4X to be much faster at finding them at 25-40yds, and when I'm calling I tend to leave the scope on 1.5X.

Honestly, my success rate is better as I often couldn't get on the critter in time.
I agree that while hunting, low power to track movement with is the way to go. The rings on my rifle are the Weaver 1" Grand Slam Rings 22 Rimfire Extra High type.

Some good looking scope & rifle setups on this thread now!

1895gunner

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought an early 80's Marlin 783 22mag last week that had a Tasco 4x32 mounted on top. As I somewhat expected, the Tasco would not adjust at the range last weekend so I am in the market to replace and need advice. I have always been a Leupold fan but don't want to spend that much money. I intend to hunt coyotes and feral hogs with it, probably will zero at 50-75 yds. Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.
I looked until I found an older Leupold M8 scope in fixed 4x. It is a standard 1" scope, 28 mm objective, with fine crosshair. It fits my CZ 452 perfectly. Because of the shorter length, I even got to leave the rear sight in place.
I thought I would send it to leupold to get the standard duplex put in, but have been happy with the fine reticle. It shows up in all but the dullest of light. Best part is I found it used for $75.....

You can't go wrong paying a little more for good optics.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I use a Weaver Barska? Its a 1.5 X 7. Clear glass, wonderful little scope. Got it at Academy last year for about $150.00 really like scope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts