Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning, first time poster. I have an old Glenfield Model 60 (likely from the late 60s or early 70s) that belonged to my grandfather. It has sat for 20+ years and is in need of some work. I tried searching to see if there are any shops that specialize in restoring these but came up empty. I know the cost will be way more than the gun is worth, but it has a lot of sentimental value. Not a project I am capable of doing myself and don't have any local shops that I would trust to do the work. Appreciate any recommendations anyone has.

Musical instrument Plant Musician Tree Wood
Wood Grille Automotive exterior Font Metal

· Premium Member
520 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from the beautiful Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee, or as Bob Lee Swagger would say, "...the patron state of shootin' stuff'.

Personally, the metal looks to be in excellent shape and does not need rebluing from what I can see. Get a walnut colored furniture touch-up pen from Lowe's or Home Deport. Touch up the spots where the wood has worn or been rubbed, then dab a touch of Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil on it.

· Registered
725 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida. I'm with Golphin. It looks to be in very good shape. You would be surprised how a little TLC would make it shine. Wipe the bluing down with oil and some furniture polish on the stock. There are other ways as well. Check youtube for ideas. As far as the "beauty marks", those are part of the history from your grandfather. They would be better memorialized keeping them for your son than handing him a brand new looking rifle. You are a lucky guy having a heirloom piece, treasure it and don't destroy it by making it look new. But that's just my 2 cents.

· Registered
497 Posts
Yes you don't want to reblue that rifle. It will never be the same. Thoughtful detailing and touch up is the best way to go. In most ways it would be cooler to have it the way your grandfather last owned it.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Appreciate all the replies. Any recommendations for a shop that can strip it down, clean it, replace what needs replacing and strip/refinish the wood? That is something I would like to do. Ahlmans (Minnesota) and Dick Williams Gun Shop (Michigan) are both listed on the Marlin site and look like they both do this kind of work, anyone have any experience with either?

· Registered
725 Posts
It's your rifle now, do whatever you want with it. It sounds like you are not much of a hands on person. The above advice was more than just replies, it was some of the best advice this site can offer you. Best of luck with your restoration.

· Registered
497 Posts
Easy to restore thr stock yourself. Sandpaper Truoil and a little time.

Reactions: utvolsfan77
1 - 16 of 16 Posts