Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks - I do not really want to hear your ideas on brands of scopes as there are so many different opinions. I would just like to know the OPTIMAL scope magnification for a 336SS .30-30.
I had a 3-9x40 on my previous blued 336 and it was fine but now that I have this new baby coming I want to put something good on it that will fit the best range for this caliber while not getting tied up in brand names . . . . .

Thanks for your responses

GB45

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Leupold Rifleman 2x7x33 ..

·
Registered
893 Posts
For me, I'd go with a 2-7. I've had bigger & smaller scopes on my 336. From my experience a 2-7 is just right. Not too big & not too small & I'm talking both size & magnification.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
8-24X56 set on the highest see-thru mounts you can find! ;D Oh, you want a serious answer...LOL.

I would suggest a 2-7X variable. GJ's suggestion of the Leupold is fantastic, but you might also consider the Bushnell Elite 3200, or the Nikon ProStaff. If you are looking for a silver scope to match your stainless rifle, then that will restrict your choices a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info from all. The biggest thing I see is the 7X max by most of you and that is obvious since we are talking inside of 200 yards targets.

I like the "silver/stainless" idea to some extent but I already did that on my 1894SS 44Mag and as you can see in the picture it is difficult to MATCH the stainless. I like the contrast of the black on stainless on my .44Mag SS Super Redhawk so I am actually planning on putting black matte scopes on both rifles. The Nikon on the Ruger Super Redhawk has proved to be very excellent choice. The Bushnell 3-9x40 on the 1894SS has served well with no issues from getting banged by that .44Mag but I think it needs a rest. You like my reasoning to get something "NEW" ? ? ?

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
IMO...anything over 4x power is not needed, currently an old Weaver k3 (3x) sits on my T-4, but some believe more is better...so a 2x7 would probably be good for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts