Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to add a grind-to-fit pad to my 30AW (Walmart 336A). The steel butt plate just a little too hard on my 13-year old nephew's shoulder. The stock needs refinishing anyway. What have you used and recommend?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I would go with the SVL (Sims Vibration Lab) they are good pads. I put one on my 45-70 and plan to replace the hard concrete one on my 444

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Welcome to MO... Marlin has a pad for the new xlr out.. you may be able to purchase one from them that would be perfect fit.. just call and ask..

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could get the Pachmayer prefit pad for $30.00. I hear these are very close but not a perfect fit. I think this pad will also increase the LOP by an inch.
Hogue has some very nice grind to fit pads that are not too expensive.
I just recieved a rubber recoil pad from Marlin for $17.00. This is grind to fit, it is the same pad they put on they're 336C. It felt a little hard when I took it out of the package. I tested it last night, and it does seem to help some.
I also noticed that there is a bit of a differnce in recoil between a 170 gr bullet and a 150 gr. bullet. This might also help your nephew. If you reload the sky is the limit.
I hope this helps, Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I put a Pachmayer Decelerator on my 450 and it went from a few shots and worrying about flinch, to one I could shoot a box through without any problems (ground to fit).

·
Super Moderator
15,900 Posts
zuikowarrior said:
I plan to add a grind-to-fit pad to my 30AW (Walmart 336A). The steel butt plate just a little too hard on my 13-year old nephew's shoulder. The stock needs refinishing anyway. What have you used and recommend?
SIMS Limbsaver®; Simply the Best.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just finished installing a 1" Sims Limbsaver (size SMALL). It fit the original Marlin screw holes, though I had to deepen the holes after cutting the buttstock to maintain LOP. The grinding-to-fit wasn't too hard - looks pretty good, although I'm sure that the second one I do will look better. My nephew will get to try it out Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My nephew is now shooting my Marlin better than his .243 so he wants to take my rifle on his hog hunt this month. Might have made a mistake here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts