Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1954 Marlin 336 RC 35 Remington about 30 years ago to use as a saddle gun/hunt deer in Eastern Oregon mountains, but moved to CA and have only used it for a little target shooting. I have been considering adding a scope because of aging eyes, but the gun has not drilled for mounts. The gun shop staff recommended I not drill it, given its age and very good condition.

I believe that the only modification to the gun was the addition of the recoil pad - I posted some additional photos of the gun to an album (1954 Marlin 336RC 35 Remington).

Would like to know whether the guns value would be significantly impacted if it was drilled for scope mounts, given the recoil pad and the overall condition of the gun?

I do have a Remington 742 30.06 with a scope, but the 35 Remington is much more enjoyable to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
15,741 Posts
Don't drill it!!! The recoil pad can be removed and replaced, even the stock could be replaced... Filling a drilled receiver with a cold weld is WAY harder and will never look the same...

·
Super Moderator
15,741 Posts
Probably right around $650.00.... $700.00 to $750.00 bone stock...

·
Super Moderator
15,741 Posts
Found one on G A that sold for $680.00 in Feb 2014

Yours is a beauty!

·
Premium Member
10,879 Posts
Very nice rifle. I would leave it as it is or maybe put a peep sight on it but not drill it. In this area I could pick up a nice older Marlin already drilled in the $400.00 range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts