Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, doing some research on which recoil pad to fit on my new Marlin 336. There’s confusing information about Marlin changing stock dimensions over the years. I am particularly interested in the limbsaver brand and the listed part numbers are - Classic style 10102, or the Airtech version 10806 as being correct. When i enquired from the seller they were not sure either???
Can anyone confirm that these indeed fit correctly on the recently made Remlin Marlin rifles? I want it to look good and fit right with no overhang or gap from being too big or too small. I think also very importantly the centre to centre hole dimensions to be correct. My dimensions are 4.840” x 1.665” with centre to centre hole size 2.825” measured with my vernier calipers. The templates on limbsaver website i cannot print for some reason.
The main reason for the pad is to increase the pull size as my rifle is short for me, with the added benefit of having softer recoil as secondary. Perhaps you can give me an option of good quality? I am not really interested in slip on style as IMO they look like a cheap add on and would harbour moisture etc, however may be an option as it would be easy to remove each time for storage.
Thanks again in advance 👍
Jeffro (Down Under)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Are you buying a pad that is not one designed to be ground down to size? Most pads are roughly the correct dimensions but oversized and then they are sanded down to match the lines of the stock.

I know they make some "pre-fit" models that are good as far as function is concerned but it you care about the aesthetics the grind to fit pads are the way to go. Fit will be as good as the person doing the installation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's my opinion that the quickest way to the sort of satisfaction you're looking for is have a professional grind and fit one for you to match your stock. I think you'll find no joy in finding something that's an exact fit out of the box. With all the marlins I've messed with no two are exactly the same regarding the wood, and it would be impossible for any company to try and produce anything that would fit everything perfectly.

Personally I prefer the looks of the Pachmayr F325 pads on older marlins, as in this picture.

The newer Remington marlins used a Pachmayr Decelorator, at least that's what came on my 2016 45/70.

I do not like how a limbsaver pad grinds, too "gummy". A Pachmayr pad grinds just fine and that's what I've always used.
Hand Furniture Wood Human body Natural material

·
Registered
18,185 Posts
I use Action Products Kick Killer lace-on pads. That way I don't have to alter the firearm. All leather and very effective. There's a high tech Sorbothane pad sewed in that really works. No more shoulder bruises. See if they'll ship outside the USA. Order from the size chart on the site.

Tree Wood Sky Grass Cylinder

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
No, "made to fit" recoil pad fits perfectly; period! The only acceptable option is the,"grind to fit"; which needs to be fitted by a competed individual to get an acceptable fit and finish (either a skilled individual, or a good gunsmith).

The fit and finish of the recoil pad is essential. You wouldn't put lipstick on a hog; would you.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm, I'm in a similar boat, but want an OEM Marlin butt plate. I took my 1952 waffletop to the range, and the butt plate got cracked and crumbled. Found one on ebay, almost $50 shipped. It had already been ground to fit someone else's 336. Too small for mine.

I'm thinking Numrich's new reproduction is my one and only option?

I have done some woodworking grinding /sanding before. I'm thinking I can do it, if I start before Happy Hour. L ol
Automotive lighting Waffle iron Audio equipment Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I recenly fitted a Pachmayer decellerator to my .308. Works a treat, bit of a kicker with the 16" Brl. I took the job slow, and ended with a decent result. Selected the position, then scored a outline and rubbed chalk on the score to mark. Started to reduce with a file in a vice with soft inserts, then to sandpaper in finer grades, wrapped round a wood block. I quite enjoyed doing it.

You need to plan it before starting, select where the screws go, then attach the pad while oversized before marking and cutting back. Give some thought to intenal hollows in the pad. You want to keep them away from the edge. The Pachmayer had helpful instructions. Take your time, dont rush, think each step through before, not while doing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts