Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1895 444 has a bit more recoil than I can enjoy in my older age. After a shoulder surgery about 18 months ago I find it still a bit tender to my bigger calibers.
What to you guys recommend to take the recoil down a notch or two?

Thank you for your help and advice.
Jeff

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
How close are you to your limit?

My 1895 in 45-70 wears a butt cuff over its crescent. And inside I've added about 1" or closed cell packing foam, compressed down to about 3/4". Closed cell foam is the shiny stuff that resists tearing.

I made the cuff and cut the foam to fit.

Tames it enough that I enjoy shooting, and I haven't had to cut the stock or remove the butt plate.

If you make your own butt cuff, put the leather's rough side out on the butt piece. Stays on your shoulder a bit better.

Reactions: IRONSIDES68

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, but what about shooting .44 mag? Will that work in the .444?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Pachmayr Decelerator pad is what is used here for everything, probably not much different from Kick EZE. If you reload consider down loading. Top 240 gr 444 loads run near 2400 fps, 44 mag rifle just short of 1800...I load 444 at 2100 fps with a 240gr, really takes the edge off. Actually it is superior since the rifle can be cycled quicker, and still has the range/power needed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Prefit Pachmayr decelerator pad for the rifle or a Magnum past recoil pad rated for up to 416 Rem. Mag. You wear it under your coat. 1 or both if you need more protection from recoil.

Old Creek

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is what I have on my 444S. While the top screw hole lines up with the existing screw hole in the stock, I had to make a new one for the lower screw. Other than that, it matched the contour of the buttstock perfectly.

I currently have arthritis and a rotator cuff issue in my right shoulder, so I'm likely in line for shoulder surgery/replacement in the not to distant future. This recoil pad has helped me quite a bit... not completely painless, which I sort of expected with way things are.

https://www.amazon.com/LimbSaver-10...6&sprefix=limbsaver+10102,aps,225&sr=8-1&th=1

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Those old style ventilated pads are what looks right on rifles of that period. Those slip on pads are good to. Have had some wood stock rifles with slip on pads move through, that had become wet and the pads left on (mold), or just plain left on to long (10+years)..that adversely effected the underlying stock finish, so be mindful of that.

·
Super Moderator
10,027 Posts
I would not cut down the stock as there is no going back except to replace it with a new one. I have had to replace many that were cut down to add a recoil pad.
Better to get a strap on pad or a shooting jacket with the recoil pads on the shoulder areas. Or as was mentioned a pad that can slip over the end of the butt.

Reactions: Oakscool

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I use the Pachmeyr Decelerator pads on all my hard kicking rifles with rare exceptions. I don't want to change the stocks on the Ruger #1s in .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby. For those I use a Past Recoil Shield.
Paul B.

Reactions: Cowboy23*

·
Registered
739 Posts
Slip-on Limb Saver.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You can also modify your shooting style to reduce felt recoil. If you shoot from a standing bench or from a high position when sitting at the bench, your whole upper body can move with the recoil, spreading the impact out. Shooting hunched over on a bench or from the prone position puts all the recoil impact energy on your shoulder. Many years ago, one of my jobs at a large shooting store was sighting in customers' guns, including several 458 Winchesters and a couple 460 Weatherbys. Those will rattle your teeth.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My 1895 444 has a bit more recoil than I can enjoy in my older age. After a shoulder surgery about 18 months ago I find it still a bit tender to my bigger calibers.
What to you guys recommend to take the recoil down a notch or two?

Thank you for your help and advice.
Jeff
If you have the latitude for longer eye relief (if scoped), and do not want to go to the expense of a new recoil pad, you may want to try one of these items. I own both and both work just fine with multiple closed cell pads that can be added for additional "comfort".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts