Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Don't have one, but am drawn to anything that starts with 4. Welcome and enjoy. If you don't reload, you're gonna start thinking about it ;)

Here ya go. These guys will hook you up The 444 Marlin

·
Super Moderator
13,144 Posts
Don't have that particular 444, but I do have a 444P. Great cartridge, great rifles. I think the 444 has claimed probably everything on the North American continent, most of Europe, and some of Africa at some point.

·
Registered
30,352 Posts
Yes! My 2007 Marlin .444 is a thumper!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
758 Posts
My is a 1988 444 SS, 22" barrel and pistol grip. It's very accurate with Hornady 265 gr FPs and puts a real thump on game. You'll love yours I sure.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
The 444 Marlin is a classic caliber. The rifles are well made and exhibit hunting accuracy. Everything said above about its performance on game is accurate and perhaps even understated.

The only criticisms are perhaps its recoil, and the expense of factory ammo. If you reload, you can make it shine. Everything from mild to wild. Jacketed or cast lead, your choice. Light or heavy bullets, light or heavy recoil.

It will do everything the 45-70 will do, with slightly lesser ballistics, but with the same alacrity.

I recommend that you keep your eyes open for 444 Marlin brass. Strongly consider buying several hundred rounds. By all means, save your empties. Starline sells their new brass in 444 Marlin. Consider buying some of that.

Also consider that factory ammo is currently in short supply due to stockpile buying and hoarding. 444 Marlin is one of those calibers that is only factory loaded seasonally, that is to say that even in normal times, you might not see it on the shelves year around.

It's a great companion to your 44 magnum. Once you reload, you can use the same bullets and primers.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I own several .444's, and it's perhaps the last calibre I'd ever get rid of. I've used it for everything from prairie dogs with the 180 Sierra to 300 gr. original Barnes on elk and moose. Very useable, easy to load, easy to shoot, and hits hard. All my micro-groove rifles ( like yours) shoot very well with .432" bullets to 310 grains at least. Haven't tried heavier in grease groove bullets. Have shot 325 grainers from my paper patch mould, and they worked well to 200 yards, as far as I've used them. The round shoots flatter than the 45-70, hits nearly as hard, and having better sectional density than the .458" slugs on a weight for weight basis, kills about as well as the bigger round too. Enjoy it, use it, cherish it!

·
Premium Member
15,369 Posts
does yours look like this

my favorite rifle

Reactions: burzynsr

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Congratulations on your 1970 centennial 444 marlin. I have a Marlin Model 444 the new ones.

Reactions: PoopDeckPappy

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
So I recently gained a 1970 centennial 444 marlin. Does anyone else have this rifle, or shoot this caliber? If so do you like it? Is it accurate? And most importantly if you have used it for hunting, how has the experience been?
Thanks all
If you do not reload, this acquistion is your reason to start. Unless it is unfired, has the original box, and papers you shoud use it and care for it with pride.

The MO family will be more than haopy to guide you with reloading advice to shorten your search for best accuracy and performance loads.

Nice eye and intutiion to snag the JM centennial.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you do not reload, this acquistion is your reason to start. Unless it is unfired, has the original box, and papers you shoud use it and care for it with pride.

The MO family will be more than haopy to guide you with reloading advice to shorten your search for best accuracy and performance loads.

Nice eye and intutiion to snag the JM centennial.
Thank you, I have the dies brass and bullets on the way to begin reloading. On that subject, my lyman reloading manual max charge for a 240gr bullet only reaches 2200fps, but hornady superformance is a 265gr at 2400. Does this mean I should steer clear of modern cartridges as they will be too high pressure?

·
Super Moderator
7,945 Posts
The 444 is a modern cartridge, and can shoot any factory ammo.
Handloading the Older 1-38 twist MicroGroove 444 is Easy but, there are rules that must be adhered to.
Rule number one: Velocity Is Your friend.
Rule number Two: Velocity Is Your Friend.
Rule number Three: Velocity Is Your Friend.
you get it!
In my opinion, a Lee Factory Crimp Die is a absolute necessity, I would stop Handloading is you took my LFCD’s from me!
you have a 444 that was built with pride by Marlin employees that at that time turned out some of the best 444’s!
The first model 444’s had a Honed Chamber, Narrow Hammer, better Trigger, Baby Butt Smooth Action, 24” barrel, High Combed Buttstock, Barrel Bands.
A note about barrel bands, grad your rifle by the wrist, and try and pull the Mag tube away from you, and then back at you, the barrel bands are secured by a pin like screw, it can bend and cause a loose Mag tub, which cause accuracy issues.

Reactions: Australian

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome aboard from Texas, my 444 (ballard rifling 1/20 twist) likes H4198, 265 grain Hornady interlock, Remington and Starline brass. Check out the 444 master reloading tables on the 444 main page, from 180 grain on up to the heavy weights. The selection is huge to do "anything" you want to do with that rifle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 444 is a modern cartridge, and can shoot any factory ammo.
Handloading the Older 1-38 twist MicroGroove 444 is Easy but, there are rules that must be adhered to.
Rule number one: Velocity Is Your friend.
Rule number Two: Velocity Is Your Friend.
Rule number Three: Velocity Is Your Friend.
you get it!
In my opinion, a Lee Factory Crimp Die is a absolute necessity, I would stop Handloading is you took my LFCD’s from me!
you have a 444 that was built with pride by Marlin employees that at that time turned out some of the best 444’s!
The first model 444’s had a Honed Chamber, Narrow Hammer, better Trigger, Baby Butt Smooth Action, 24” barrel, High Combed Buttstock, Barrel Bands.
A note about barrel bands, grad your rifle by the wrist, and try and pull the Mag tube away from you, and then back at you, the barrel bands are secured by a pin like screw, it can bend and cause a loose Mag tub, which cause accuracy issues.
Thank you for the response, I did as you said and cant get any perceivable movement with the mag tube. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Thank you, I have the dies brass and bullets on the way to begin reloading. On that subject, my lyman reloading manual max charge for a 240gr bullet only reaches 2200fps, but hornady superformance is a 265gr at 2400.

Hornady achieves this velocity (2400 fps with 265 gr bullet) by using a proprietary mixture of powders--and they aren't telling which ones they use. Unless you find that loading in a published manufacturer's reloading manual, do not try to duplicate it yourself. It is safe in Marlin lever actions as it comes from the factory, but if you mix it yourself, it could result in catastrophic receiver failure, personal injury, or worse.

Anyone know if Hornady 444 brass is also 0.1" short, like their 45-70 brass to accommodate the gummy tips?

Good luck. Be safe.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So I recently gained a 1970 centennial 444 marlin. Does anyone else have this rifle, or shoot this caliber? If so do you like it? Is it accurate? And most importantly if you have used it for hunting, how has the experience been?
Thanks all
Do have a 444, never hunted with it. I might use it on a nilgai hunt in February. I probably will use it 1 day on a 4-day hunt. Can you imagine on the very last day you finally get a shot at an animal, and it's 300 yards out. That is why my 7mm rem mag is coming along as well. I like the 444, but it has its limitations. This was a drawn hunt that we won, that took many tries to get picked. Me and two of my kids are going. Now we may very well not see a darn thing at all during this hunt. But I know my 7 Mag can reach out and touch with authority.

·
Super Moderator
15,669 Posts
No safety - Welcome to the 444 Marlin® Brotherhood!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts