Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the marlins hitting the shelves now any better as far as fit and finish than a few years ago? What is your opinions? Older marlins are commanding a higher price and finding a used spikehorn is hard aroun my parts.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm happy with the 336y I picked up recently.......looks ok (aside from laminate....don't like), trigger, sites, all ok....shoots fine.......I think they are putting out an ok tool.......no collectors item mind you

Wood Driftwood

Reactions: Cokeman

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Apparently, not the same people or the same factories are making all the calibers. Recently I saw one big bore in Stainless that looked good in a LGS. However, some of the smaller calibers were not so good. I was unable to establish how long the inferior guns were sitting on the rack, so I could not determine if it was old stock or if Remington is still getting out some good ones and some bad ones.

After seeing the poor quality of the Marlins a couple years ago, I went the JM stamped route and I have been very happy with genuine Marlin rifles. There are a lot of choices out there, you should not have to settle for an inferior product in order to own a lever gun. Winchester makes great looking guns, Henry makes a fine series of lever guns, and Mossberg has a nice Winchester Model 94 clone that you can get for under $500. If you go to enough LGS and search Gunbroker, Armslist, and local Estate Auctions, you should be able to find a quality firearm without having to compromise quality.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I saw a 336 at a LGS that had some serious issues with the sights. The front sights was a couple of degrees offset and the rear had been bent to line them up. I showed this to the owner and he took it off the rack to send back to the factory. I would NEVER buy a Remlin without checking it out first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most of the new Marlins I have been seeing look pretty good. The wood to metal fit could still be a bit tighter on most of them, but they are worlds better than the early Remlins.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Keep a look out. Find an nice used (use Is OK w/o abuse) 336C and have it chopped on one or both ends. Happy, happy, happy.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
The new Rifle mag. has an article by Brian Pearce on two new Marlins, 336 C Limited and an 1894 chambered in 44 mag. The 336 Limited looked pretty good, but he did state that the wood to metal fit, while better, could be better. Forearm wood is still too fat on both, on the 1894 the wood was still the older (first gen. Remington wood) where the C Limited had some nice wood and checkering. Receiver, trigger plate, hammer, locking bolt and lever are still made from forgings. The carrier is machined from bar stock. Trigger pull still too heavy, listed as 72 oz. on the 336 and 76 oz. on the 1894. DP

Reactions: EDR and 45nut

·
Registered
769 Posts
Is there a link to the rifle mag article.
The article is not included in the "sample issue" on Wolfe Publishing's website. You will have to find/buy/borrow the issue.

Reactions: Marlin 30-30
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.