Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a new Rossi in 45 LC, I noticed it's not D&T's for a receiver sight? Are all the models like this? My old eyes just won't handle standard iron sights very well any more, hard to see the front sight clearly.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yes, as far as I know.

I've thought about having mine D & T'd for a Williams Foolproof, but just ain't got around to it yet.

You can try the Skinner Sight for the Rossi, as it rides in the rear sight dovetail, but is an aperture sight.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use a Marbles Standard Tang sight on mine (as well as on all my other lever guns).

Marbles lists part number 009807 for the standard tang sight for the Rossi 1892, with screw set 995002, although I've used the 009808 sight for the Winchester 1892 and 1894 on all of mine. The tang is a bit longer on the Rossi 92 than on the Winchester, or the Armi-Sport copy of the 1892, and that may be the difference.

Both sights use a hole spacing of 2.000" to 2.265", and I use the Lyman No 2 tang sight spacing to allow me, or future owners to use either sight without drilling a second hole.

----

The primary advantage of a tang sight, over a receiver sight or barrel mounted aperture sight is that the small aperture placed reasonably close to the eye (a few inches in this case) effectively increases the depth of field of your eye and allows you to focus on the front sight. With a receiver sight the effect is reduced and with a barrel mounted aperture, you won't see either sight element clearly with middle aged or older eyes.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I can swing getting the Rossi 45LC, I think a tang sight would be the way to go. One thing I didn't like on the Rossi was the forward mounted rail for a scout scope. I just can't warm up to that setup!

·
Registered
447 Posts
The tang sites work great. Some folks have to adjust their shooting stance to avoid being poked in the eye, especially with stout loads.

The peep in the safety hole works, but looks non-traditional.

If you like the classic receiver site, one for a 94 or a 92 will work fine, but you'll have to have it drilled and tapped to mount it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
GaCop, If I'm not mistaken Rossi does offer Drilled and taped barrels for the forward guide scope configuration mounts. They look pretty cool but I personally like the tang sight better. I put barrel mounted Skinners on the Rossi's I had. They worked good except I would have had to go with much taller front sights to get sighted in. I got bored and traded them for a nice O/U. I think a good tang sight would allow you to use your original front sight or at least a shorter front site. The perfect set up for me would be a tang sight and a fiber optic front sight. With the Skinner receiver sight that replaces the safety or a barrel mounted peep sight you are going to have to get a really tall front sight to get 100 yard POA. I just don't like a bush hanger front sight.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The Rossi is already drilled and tapped if you look under the buckhorn you should see the screws.
That's what Steve at Steve's Gunz said to me.
He makes a mount for it so you can put on a scout scope.
Might be ok on a 20" but I think it would unbalance such a light rifle.
My 45-70 is ok because it's very heavy and the scout scope doesn't weigh
much in comparison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.