Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old eyes think that I NEED a receiver (peep) sight for my new Marlin 336 in 30-30.
Is there a clear favorite for mounting on the 336C? I'm leaning towards the Williams FP.
xMike

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got skinners on all my levers. Ive used XS (supplied with the sbl) but like the lines of skinner over any alternative.. However, a buddy of mine uses williams on his 444. The lucky ******* only has a vertical change in POI between his two hunting loads. So the williams is the cats nip for him.

But i can recommend skinners for their excellent sights, the best CS i ever had the pleasure to met (usps or swedish postal service lost the package, skinner sent a new free of charge. That is customer service at the highest level, it weren't even their fault! But they fixed it anyway!) and the nice looks.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Do you know of any Shooters who have receiver sights on their rifles?

If so, ask them if you could shoulder and aim the rifles. Nothing beats a ‘hand’s on’ evaluation.

And remember: everyone’s eyes are different, so take that into consideration when evaluating recommendations for a sight based upon the responses you receive. At age 68 with developing cataracts, I find receiver and tang sights are necessary.

As for my own experience, I prefer the Williams, Lyman, Redfield type receiver sights. I shoot from the bench and those sights offer a sight picture that is very similar to the Vernier tang sight pictures on my Black Powder cartridge rifles.

My 336Y sports a Williams FP with target knobs and so far it works very well for the bench shooting that I do.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I like factory ok.But ,Williams fire sights would be my choice.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Current production mount Williams FP and Lyman remain good sights, very easy and precise adjust. A Redfield will be vintage, and on E-bay auctions on at the moment are tracking thru $150.00. Folks like the Skinners, a very good minimal profile, very adjustable, but lack screw/turrets and visible micrometer scale as the Williams/Lyman. Skinners lend them selves to being sighted in and set for one load. The Lymans/Williams with the elevation and windage scales are better suited to guns routinely firing various loads. I enjoy developing different loads, and I have Skinners on one rifle, but prefer the the Williams/Lymans. Is easier to track sight adjustments to zero with the scales.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Being somewhat cheap in nature I have used the Williams 5D for years. Like Grey Mustang says some, like the Williams 5-D lend themselves to one sight in with a single load. So far it ahs worked for me as that is what I tend to use and they are not all that hard to adjust, but are not as nice as ones made for easy adjustment. Being one who also appreciates the use of receiver sights with older eyes, I also utilize a green fiber optic front sight. Not so great for paper maybe, but excellent for deer. about as good as a scope for me. My Marlin required one at .530 height. sometimes needed as the factory sight is not high enough,

DEP

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I split about half and half between the Skinners and the Williams FP on our Marlins.

I like the ease of adjustment on the Williams on guns where I tend to switch back and forth between different loads. I also like the fact that I only rarely have had to change the front sight with the Williams.

I like the Skinners for their looks and their durability. Can't be beat on that score. Usually takes a change of front sights, but no big deal once you've done it. Can't imagine a better sight for a gun that's going to see a lot of use in the woods.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replys - lots to think about.
I had not seen the Skinner sight before - it has a nice clean look to it. And their site helped me to understand that if I adopt a receiver sight, I'll also have to change out the front sight as well. Since the 336's ramp front sight is only held on by a single screw, that shouldn't be a major issue, assuming that I choose the right height.

I also had not seen the Williams Firesight. Their combo of FP and matched firesight front bead might just be the easiest way to solve the height problem. Ray Newman's comment on reloading got me to thinking. I haven't reloaded in years but I've got all the gear stowed away in a trunk in my garage - it's set up for .40S&W so it might not handle the longer rifle cartridges so a new press might be required. The one hurdle is that the nearest KD range is an hour's drive from Louisville - well that and the fact that I know next to nothing about bench shooting. That would be a lot of fun, though.

·
Registered
990 Posts
There has been a lot of good advice posted here. I also think part of the answer lies in answering the question "what are you going to use the rifle for" for hunting one of my 336's and 1895 and .22LR all have skinners on them. I primarily use one load, as an example I have the 336 sighted in for a 100 yd zero and I know how much Kentucky windage and holdover is needed at 50, 75, 100, 125, etc.

For my plinking, target shooting, cowboy silhouettes and dinger ringing where I am always adjusting the sights, I like the Lyman receiver sights, for my 336, I can precisely adjust between 50 and 300yds. So, again, I think the answer depends on what your needing the rifle for.
Good luck and if you do decide to go with a skinner sight, order a tall one and just file it down to your preferred zero. Nothing to it, if you have questions send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Lyman is my first choice, Redfield are nice too, Williams are ok, the Skinner's don't appeal to me?

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not trying to highjack the thread here but if say, you go with a Skinner how can you lighten the front sight up enough to shoot in the twilight or predawn? Iron sights sound very appealing but most of my shots are when its very close to dark.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
You stated the gun was new. Is it D&Ted on the side of the receiver for a Williams or Lyman receiver sight. If not you'll have to go with the Skinner. I have Skinner express sights on my XLR and I like them. I have a Lyman receiver sight on an unmolested waffel top.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Not trying to highjack the thread here but if say, you go with a Skinner how can you lighten the front sight up enough to shoot in the twilight or predawn? Iron sights sound very appealing but most of my shots are when its very close to dark.
Just use a Williams Firesight front instead of the Skinner blade sight. Those Firesights are amazing in low light. Have to try one in low light to appreciate what they can do. Only problem will be finding the right height, since you don't have the option of filing them down as with the Skinner blade sights.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that's a very good point - I just assumed (and we all know what that means) that if Williams was selling me a sight marked specifically for my 336 that it'd fit. Based on my limited knowledge, all fairly recent to new Marlin 336's come with the top D&T'd and not the side. Yes? No?

I discovered that I'd written a book with this reply so I've deleted from here on and will post the rest under "Action Job on a new Marlin 336".

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Depending on the year the rifle was made will determine if the side of the receiver was drilled and tapped. I have some that are, and some that are not. Any of the sights you've mentioned will work, I've ordered blade and hi-viz front sights from skinner...they offer 4 different heights, so choose wisely! Or do what I did and order at least 2.
One thing to consider pricewise is that the Williams are going to be the most reasonable, Skinner offers several that range in price from their econo model right up to their "Alaskan" which is gorgeous. That said, Lyman sights for my Marlins are running $100 each, I use them because of the quick release button on the side that allows me to remove the sight that sits on top of the receiver so I can use my tang sight. If you don't need the quick release feature, you should consider the Williams or the Skinner.
Here's a pic of my 1895CB with the Lyman sight AND the TAng sight, you only have ONE or the OTHER on normally to shoot the rifle. Oh, you'll also need a "blank" for the dovetail that currently holds your Marlin buckhorn sight, that will interfere with your peep sight regardless of the one you purchase.

Close-up of the Lyman peepsight:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use nail polish. First a couple of thin base coats with white. Then yellow or red depending on if its winter or summer. (red for winter, yellow for summer..) then clear with glitter in it. the keyword here is THIN layers. this has the nice cost of <1 cents.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My old eyes think that I NEED a receiver (peep) sight for my new Marlin 336 in 30-30.
Is there a clear favorite for mounting on the 336C? I'm leaning towards the Williams FP.
xMike
As one who has that " peep" It`s first class. For me anyway.

Customer service is ......great.

Call them Toll free. 1-800-530-9028.

Tell them what you have and they`ll tell you what you need. Doesn`t get any better than that.

May also need to change out the front sight. They`ll guide you there as well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just use a Williams Firesight front instead of the Skinner blade sight. Those Firesights are amazing in low light. Have to try one in low light to appreciate what they can do. Only problem will be finding the right height, since you don't have the option of filing them down as with the Skinner blade sights.
I have not done a lot of modification to my firearms so I am a little concerned I wont know what height to get. Also, what is the sight diameter like? I prefer a very fine front sight because I am far sighted

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Thanks for all the replys - lots to think about.
I had not seen the Skinner sight before - it has a nice clean look to it. And their site helped me to understand that if I adopt a receiver sight, I'll also have to change out the front sight as well. Since the 336's ramp front sight is only held on by a single screw, that shouldn't be a major issue, assuming that I choose the right height.

I also had not seen the Williams Firesight. Their combo of FP and matched firesight front bead might just be the easiest way to solve the height problem. Ray Newman's comment on reloading got me to thinking. I haven't reloaded in years but I've got all the gear stowed away in a trunk in my garage - it's set up for .40S&W so it might not handle the longer rifle cartridges so a new press might be required. The one hurdle is that the nearest KD range is an hour's drive from Louisville - well that and the fact that I know next to nothing about bench shooting. That would be a lot of fun, though.

There should be another screw under that front sight blade. Removing the front sight should be supported very well if you drive it out. There have been a few that ripped the screws out by driving the front sight unsupported. Unless you have a sight pusher be careful.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts