Marlin Firearms Forum banner

rebounding hammer

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Leverdude 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the rebound spring on a new model 39A?

#3 ·
I may be wrong but months ago I read on another forum that removing a rebounding hammer will improve the trigger pull. These guns have a half cock safety on the hammer and the safey on the receiver, I think it is silly to have a rebounding hammer. If my kids were shooting this gun I could see it but I wont let them get near this gun, this is daddy's gun, they have their own 22s to shoot.

#4 ·
Wyatt said:
I may be wrong but months ago I read on another forum that removing a rebounding hammer will improve the trigger pull. These guns have a half cock safety on the hammer and the safety on the receiver, I think it is silly to have a rebounding hammer. If my kids were shooting this gun I could see it but I wont let them get near this gun, this is daddy's gun, they have their own 22s to shoot.
It might be Daddy's gun now, but Daddys don't live forever! Ha!

I feel the same way, but my two sons would rather shoot 10/22s! I guess those ol' 39a's are for us old fogies!

Mine is a 2001 production 39a. It has the rebounding hammer, but no manual half cock. Are the newer ones different?

I've heard some people complain that cartridge ignition is sporadic with the rebounding hammer.....although, I haven't had any problems with mine.

hog

#5 ·
The rebounding hammer is disgusting and unecessary. It also makes for that ugly "ping" sound when you shoot new 39AS guns. To get rid of it, you simply have to cut one "arm" off the mainspring strut (bottom one if I recall) and it will quit causing the hammer to rebound. You will then have a safety notch to use, although on the newer Marlins if you pull the trigger the hammer will slip off the safety notch, as it isn't a notch proper, but a ledge. I am sure it could be deepened to work as a traditional notch where the hammer wouldn't slip off if you pull the trigger a little.

#6 ·
My 1897 Cowboy has this newfangled rebounding hammer and if I'm not mistaken, it might be construed as a safety improvement. While not traditional in a sense, it might prevent an accident. My son-in-law uses the %^!#$^ crossbolt safetys as though they have always been there, noteing my lack of use. Kids anyway! Back to my thought, the rifle shoots where I aim it and functions properly and safely. I can live with that!

#7 ·
Its certainly a saftey & to my knowledge none of the rebounding hammers have notches but shelves like somebody already said. I never tried it but the best fix is probably putting in an older half cock hammer if it'll work.
I never use crossbolt safteys & always use half cock but I'd have to change that with a rebounding hammer. Bouncy hammers & pretty buttons, whats happening to lever guns. :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.