Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m building an early Marlin 336 into a long (30") octagon barreled 32-40 rifle. It will be a lead bullet shooter. Which barrel maker would you all recommend and why?

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I don't know any barrel maker that would do that particular switch. Maybe a 32 Win Special but then again ?????
Sorry I'm no help.

"fk"

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have seen 336's rebarreled to 32-40 with take off barrels from 1893's. Am told they drop right in. The trick would be to find a nice 1893 barrel. Even trickier to find brass. Since it is a lever and probably a range gun, you will need a stash. Unlike the single shot guys that just shoot one case over and over. I see folks shooting formed 30-30, but then you need $$$ forming dies.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Yeah, the brass issue really isn't an issue, but his barrel question is. 38-72, have you found anyone who makes a 0.321 barrel or would a 8mm bore diameter barrel be okay for you, especially if you want to use cast bullets and could have more flexibility on bullet diameter? Also, the 30" length requirement may be an issue as that would further limit the likelihood of finding a 32-40 takeoff barrel that could be used or a 32 winchester special barrel that could be set back and rechambered.

I seem to recall MidwayUSA or Brownells listing a Green River or Wind River barrel in 32 caliber, but maybe it was for a 32-20. Have you also asked any of the rebore folks if they do that bore size? Finally, I guess there is the option of getting a liner installed in any suitable barrel you can get, but I don't know if the 30" length will pose a problem there. Sorry no answers, but I am curious to what you find out. - Mike

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I contacted two barrel makers about having a new octagon barrel, 26 inches long in 38-55 Winchester installed on my 1893. McGowen gave me an estimate of $663 and Wind River gave an estimate of 395.00 installed, logo mark if desired is 100.00, blue barrel and mag tube 100.00 so it can get pretty expensive.

Hope this helps,
-Bob George

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I would not trust Wind River with a mongrel dog, much less a gun I cared anything about. Would suggest before you send anything to Wind River that you visit lcsmith.org (the forum) and review the experiences people there have "enjoyed" with Wind River thus far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments! I ended up buying Shilen 32 BPCR barrel blank that is 30 inches long. The price was very reasonable.

I am now looking for a 30 magazine tube. I’m finding it difficult to locate a long enough magazine tube and the corresponding spring. I thought I might be able to use seamless (DMO) tubing and checked the net for available sizes. And, within a few thousands, I can find either the correct OD or correct ID but not both. The magazine tube on my 336 measures about 0.650” OD and about 0.560’ ID.

Does any have a suggestion on where to find a 30 magazine tube and spring? Could I just stretch out a Marlin Cowboy spring to 30?

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I can vouch for McGowen's work. I had them build a .358 Norma Mag and it turned out great looking and shooting. The barrel for that project cost more than most new rifles...quality is not cheap.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
38-72

The cheeper way to go would be to have your existing barrel sleeved to 32-40. I had a 30-30 barrel on a 336RC rebarreled to 32-40 some years back and it came out beautfully.

Oh Oh, I just read your thread again and did'nt pick up on the 30" barrel the first time I read it.

Sorry,

djh

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Pick up a 24 inch tube and cut your old one for the extra, pretty easy to make a small sleeve and hide it under the fore end. The spring for a 24 inch should work even if you have to stretch it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would be interested in who you get to make the barrel blank fit the action, and how much.
Thinking of a similiar project of putting a heavier octagon barrel on a 1895.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Might give Robert Hoyt a call, he's over in Pennsylvania. He'll not be rushed, so if you need it NOW forget it, but he makes his own barrels and liners. Any length you want, any twist. He's most famous for his relining jobs on muzzleloaders but I've seen a couple of 76 Winchesters he's done for a friend and they are GOOD! If you really want that long barrel he could do that too. Not sure what he'd charge for this project, but he's reasonable.
For the refinish end of it, why not learn to do a rust blue yourself? It's what Marlin used until after the War, and not particularly hard to do, just need a tank and heat source to boil water after each coat rusts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sjhguns said:
I would be interested in who you get to make the barrel blank fit the action, and how much.
Thinking of a similiar project of putting a heavier octagon barrel on a 1895.
The smith I use is John Taylor in Washington State. John has a website: John Taylor Machine or http://www.johntaylormachine.com/ He is very very good. Turn around time is great and prices are fair. He has worked on some of my projects that no one else would do. That’s how I came across him the first time.

As for the status of my project, I got all the factory small parts from either Midway or Brownells. The biggest problem I've encountered so far is finding a 30" magazine tube and spring. I did an extensive web search along with several phone calls. Tried to locate seamless and DOM tubing that was similar in size, but no luck. Oh it’s out there, but you have to buy a truck load, or the supplier thinks it made of gold and prices it accordingly. Ended up using an after market 30” stainless tube designed for a Win ’73. It’s within a few thou in dia of the existing 20” Marlin tube. For the magazine spring, I am going to use 2 twenty-four inch springs. Both have closed ends, so they’ll butt up against each other. I’ll cut of the excess from one. The barrel is on order and should arrive in a couple of weeks. I’m hope to have this gun ready for a match the 1st weekend in June. It’ll be close.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info and update.
Sounds really interesting, hope you can get it done in time.
I might have to call John Taylor, I live in Washington.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts