Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older 336 in 30-30 and have wondered if it could be rechambeted to .44, just recently read somewhere that Marlin did make a 336 on .44 sometime ago. The action is nice and smooth but I have no use for s 30-30, but a .44 would be nice.
A new .44 or even a used one is out of my price range, I was wondering about having the 30-30 rebarreled, if it was cost effective.
Anyone have any idea what something like that would cost to have done?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
There's a lot more involved that re-chambering or changing barrels because the standard 336 action is too long to function with the 44 Mag cartridge without reworking the carrier and ejector parts. Sell your 336 and get an original 336/44 Mag or Model 94 chambered in 44 Mag.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
there is a write up on redoing a 30-30 to 444, and there is a good bit involved to get it right...

but as stated, a 44 mag isnt going to be cost effective. not sure 444 would be...

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Don't, you have been given good advice to sell and look for one.

Alternative send it to JES for a rebore to either .375 or 38-55

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Who is JES?

·
Registered
243 Posts
by the time you buy a barrel, and have the gunsmith work done , you could just about buy two 44 marlins. i don't know, but there is some reason that marlin only the 336/44 for a couple years. they must have had some issues with it.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Ummmm.... wouldn't it be easier & safer to find an 1894 in .44mag instead?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on you guys, what's all this talk about it being easier to just buy one already chambered in .44 mag?
Your taking all the fun out of it :)

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
il Padrino said:
Come on you guys, what's all this talk about it being easier to just buy one already chambered in .44 mag?
Your taking all the fun out of it :)
I prefer the KISS approach to life... keep it simple stupid ;D

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
What you want to do is not that feasible to me at least. A much better and much less expensive route would be to have your gun rechambered and rebored to 375 Win. This costs $225 from Jes including return shipping.

But first lets do some math and calendar work.

1) Send your rifle to Nonnemans Custom Rifles and have it rechamber, rebored, reworked to fire 44 mag. I guesstimate this at around $350-$400 for the work, expect a couple month lead time.

2) Sell your rifle for $300 and wait for a 336 chambered in 44 mag. These come up very, very rarely online, and sell for around $500 in fair condition. One could be up tomorrow but it might take up to a few years to find one and procure it.

3) Send your rifle to Jes and have it rebored and rechambed for $225, you pick the twist for the bullet weight you want to shoot. Send it today and get it back next week.

4) sell your rifle for $300 and buy a 94 chambered in 44 mag for around $500-$600. There are probably several listed on gunbroker now.

5) sell your marlin for $300 and buy a 444 for $400 get a couple reloading tools and load that baby from mild to wild. The 444 is a 44 mag AND so much more, but you have to handload!

Lots of choices!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have one of those 336 44 mags and it has it's moods, I changed the follower to the Bear tooth brass one and it helped quite a bit but it is still cranky sometimes. the carrier has more parts than any other 336. I'm glad I read this thread because I didn't know about the allen screw for the carrier on the 336 44mag and am going to check it out now! Dennis :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Is it a Remlin? ;) Better check for the JM mark, Remington might have slipped one in earlier than we thought.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Is it a Remlin? they only made the 336 in 44 Mag in the mid 60's for four years or so. that was 45 years before the Remlins I think!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts