Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, as a matter of fact, Marlin would probably do it for under $200.00. Call 800-544-8892 and ask them.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Question Masterifleman:

Where would Marlin get a Model 336 / 375 caliber barrel?

I would love to have one myself but to my knowlege they haven't made a 375 since 1983. Am I wrong?

Thanks, djh

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
This is purely a guess but just because they stopped manufacture doesn't mean that they don't have a shelf full of barrels left over from when they did. Again, just a guess on my part. And if one were truly interested in this conversion, it would certainly be worth a call to find out.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
From what I'v seen it can be hard to get them to work on discontinued items so they might not do it even if they did have barrels.
That said, its likely they'd put a 38/55 barrel on it that you could get rechambered for the 375 or if you handload, again from what I gather, I think you could load up pretty close to 375 velocities.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
might find one at e-gunparts.com they have bought a lot of leftover parts in the past from Marlin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Made a call to the Marlin shop. They said it could be done and that the actions are the same between the 336 and the mod. 375. However, they did not have any more barrels.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
TedH:

Call - Al Siegrest
Siegrest Gun & Machine Shop
8732 Turtle Road
Whitmore, Michigan
989-873-3929

I had him take a Model 336C barrel that was a 30-30 caliber and rebore it to 38-55. A 375 would be no problem for him. I recommend him 100%.

He cut rifles the barrel and hand laps it. It is the third most accurate gun I own.

Al is a top notch gunsmith. Coat for him to do mine was $ 130.00.

Hope this helps.

djh

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
TedH , It's a very easy job if you can find a barrel and have the right tools. I found a 375 and a 356 barrel on ebay last year. I'm very happy with the 375, still looking for nice 336 for the 356 barrel. The 375 started as a 30AW from walmart. HYDE

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Hello Hyde:

Yep, I remember that 356 on e-bay. I was bidding against you and failed to hit the button fast enough for my computer to react there at the end. I wanted that 356 bad.

Bet it will be a long time before another comes up, if ever.

I know you will enjoy it when you get it on a receiver.

Only true 200 yd. lever gun Marlin has built.

Enjoy, D.J. Hyde from Texas

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hello djh , you almost had another shot at that barrel this winter. My union was ( still is ) on strike for the last 6 mo. I found a new job at a better shop about a month ago. It was a long winter with NO INTERNET untill two days ago. We got through without having to sell any of my guns but , it was close. HYDE

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Hyde:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune but happy to hear it worked out OK for you.

If you ever want to sell that 356 barrel, please get in touch with me.

Best wishes,

djh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts