Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Everyone has been so very helpful to me and I need a helping hand once more. I'm in the process of getting a new 39A, and want to put a peep sight on it and need to remove the factory rear sight. Which way do I need to push the rear sight to remove it??? :) Thanks for the help again..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I assume your taking about the rear dovetail mounted sight. Dove tail sights are removed by drifting from left to right when looking from the butte plate toward the barrel as one would normally hold a rifle. The same dovetail sight is installed from right to left. Use a punch w/ a brass or plastic tip or even a properly sized wooden dowel. A steel punch will marr the sight. Good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuco Tom

Thank-you very much for the info. I thought is was l to r, but wanted to confirm before I messed something up and had a bad time with it....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you sure you need to remove the stock sight? The leaf should fold down out of the way to provide enough clearance for a receiver sight I installed a peep tang sight and the std. rear sight leaf folds out of the way just fine. HTH

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sasquatch: If you need to remove the sight, I think I saw in Brownell's catalog, a block that will fill the dovetail slot left by the sight removal. Did you want to put a receiver sight or a tang peep on it? I think both work very well with 39As. Lots of people here have changed sights with great results.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Sasquatch,
I have Marbles sight blank fillers. Same price as Brownells, but S&H included, if you need one. [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts