Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a factory replacement rear sight (the stamped steel non-folding leaf) for a 39a. I've seem a few replacement sights for the 60 that look to be the same design. Will they work in a 39a? I know the dovetail shape is a standard, but I can see one or the other having a different notch height.

Any one have both a 39a and a 60 willing to take a look at the rear sight and see if they are compatible? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Try an after market sight from Williams, sometimes the rear sight need a slight bit of fitting, depends how the factory dovetail was done, I've run into some that are cut just a bit to big or even shallow. The Williams type have a small set screw to insure a good tight fit.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
First, the factory didn't make the sights, these were bought-in parts from the likes of Lyman, Marble's and such. And you can do better than those, now. Personally, I'd go for a Marble's folding leaf. If you just gotta have the part in a Marlin envelope, check Gun Parts/Numrich. Or go for a receiver sight, if your gun is old enough to have the drilled and tapped holes. Williams has their Fool-Proof line of open sights that slides in place and uses a setscrew to lock the dovetail base. Can even get them in fiber now, I have a set on one slug gun. Personally, I can't use the factory-supplied open sights.

You can get a wide variety of fronts AND rears from Brownell's, their tech guys can help you get the right heights for either or both.

As far as whether you could use a 60 sight on a 39, it's possible, depending on vintage. 39As had different diameters of barrel over the years. Usually there's enough adjustment in those elevator ramps to get you on target. You may end up changing front heights to get proper elevation. The Marble's open rears usually have a sliding plate containing the notch to help out with that problem.

Stan S.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try an after market sight from Williams, sometimes the rear sight need a slight bit of fitting, depends how the factory dovetail was done, I've run into some that are cut just a bit to big or even shallow. The Williams type have a small set screw to insure a good tight fit.
Good advice for aftermarket. I've got a Henry that uses a Marble's Semi Buckhorn with the same screw set up ... it makes like easier!

Or go for a receiver sight, if your gun is old enough to have the drilled and tapped holes. Williams has their Fool-Proof line of open sights that slides in place and uses a setscrew to lock the dovetail base. Can even get them in fiber now, I have a set on one slug gun. Personally, I can't use the factory-supplied open sights.

As far as whether you could use a 60 sight on a 39, it's possible, depending on vintage. 39As had different diameters of barrel over the years. Usually there's enough adjustment in those elevator ramps to get you on target. You may end up changing front heights to get proper elevation. The Marble's open rears usually have a sliding plate containing the notch to help out with that problem.

Stan S.
I hear you on Peeps! That is exactly what I'm running on the rifle now. I was just looking for a "genuine" sight for the spare parts box; just in case if I sell the rifle, I have one to go with it. Silly, I know. I think your comments are spot on with the the variation in barrel thickness making a direct replacement a "depends" ... some ebay sights liste for the 60's have a shorter leaf than others, almost looking like the sight off a gun with no front ramp like the 39D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts