Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gadget Technology Electronic device
Gadget Electronics Electronic device Technology Audio equipment
I picked up my first Marlin today, a 795. I noticed the rear sight base is off center (too far to the left). I also noticed the serrations on top of the receiver are not flush or symmetrical. Are either of these issues common? And will they require replacing the barrel and the receiver?

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
Don't know about common, but I believe I'd take it back and demand another one. No reason for that, except poor quality control. There will be some folks along directly with knowledge of that model.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining us.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Serrations are no big deal, a lot of them are like that. Not good pic of sight base. Could your barrel be past top dead center? What
does your front look like, is it straight ? If all this is ok, shoot gun to see where it groups. They may of not centered sight at plant.
Might be a good idea to drift it to center before you start. Use brass or alumilum punch to avoid marring sight base. Move it by taping
right to left.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Serrations are no big deal, a lot of them are like that. Not good pic of sight base. Could your barrel be past top dead center? What
does your front look like, is it straight ? If all this is ok, shoot gun to see where it groups. They may of not centered sight at plant.
Might be a good idea to drift it to center before you start. Use brass or alumilum punch to avoid marring sight base. Move it by taping
right to left.
Yup - the serrations are aesthetic - nothing more. A dovetail ring which the receiver is designed to use never comes into contact with them. As to the rear sight - firearms at the factory are test fired and it may be when seating the rear sight that it was moved. It is designed to be moved by the user to zero for windage by using a brass punch. Depending upon how someone holds their rifle when firing - it may require drifting it one way or the other. I would see where it hits and adjust from there. If you find it so far from zero that you can not drift the sight enough to zero it - then I'd consider contacting Marlin. :dito:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right to left.
The picture shows it just fine if you look at the serrations. There are nine of them, so the fifth serration from either side is the center one. Visually line up the sight base with it and you can clearly see it’s off-kilter.

·
Registered
28,314 Posts
right to left.
:dito:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
The rear sight is off center to the left of the receiver. Is it off center to the barrel as well? If so drift it to the right just as you would have to do adjusting for windage. Some Remlins have had barrels clocked (rotated) to the left or right and if that is the case it needs to go back to the dealer or to Marlin.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
The rear sight is off center to the left of the receiver. Is it off center to the barrel as well? If so drift it to the right just as you would have to do adjusting for windage. Some Remlins have had barrels clocked (rotated) to the left or right and if that is the case it needs to go back to the dealer or to Marlin.
The barrel on the 795 is not rotated for installation they are inserted and pinned, as are most all Marlin rimfires. If the sight is canted to the left either the dovetail was cut at a slope from TDC or the barrel grove or the receiver holes for the barrel pin are off. If the front sight is straight the dovetail for the rear sight is off.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,536 Posts
Serrations blending into 2 radii requires extremely tight tolerances to prevent that. A relatively basic tool maker and a 2 years out of mechanical engineering school should be able to design a fixture that centers up the part. I've seen that issue on fine firearms - I give 'em a pass on that one. The other issue is unforgivable and only serves to heighten your critical eye and possibility of doing business again with the culprit. AC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I'm a partial idiot. I didn't realize the rear sight was drift adjustable for windage. I took a brass punch and centered it perfectly. However, I still have a problem. the Rear sight is tilted. I used my calipers to measure the crimping on both sides at the front of the rear sight base. One side appears to be crimped more than the other. Combined with the based drifted too far to the left, it looked like it was mounted off to the side rather directly on top of the barrel. Now that the center axis is dead on, it's still tilted A LOT.

Either the left side is crimped too much or the right side isn't crimped enough. Are these sights steel or aluminum? Do you think I should take some pliers and try to just bend it, or should I somehow crimp the right side more?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as serrations are concerned, I agree it's just aesthetic, and I know it's only a $150 rifle, but still. I've had pistols with serrations on the top of the slide but I've never seen it like this. With today's CNC machining, I think tolerances are tight for everyone making such details in their receives/slides, and they've had well over half a century to perfect this in my opinion. What I think it coes down to pis poor quality control, and being a $150 is no excuse as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame Marlin per se because I don't know how much of Marlin is still considered Marlin after Remington buying them out and moving production to Kentucky all those years ago. Are they insisting on cutting corners? Probably, and I've heard that said before obviously. Remington itself has been the poster child for poor quality control for many years now. Worse, it's not like these guns are getting any cheaper. The price of them seems to have been raised at the same time quality went down. A Glock 19 Gen 3 cost the same as it did when Remington bought Marlin. Right? But hasn't it's pricing gone up 25-50%?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, I don't know if the serrations are just aesthetic. The channel goes further to the rear on one side than the other. Did one go too long, or did the other fall short? If it's the latter then I won't be able to use the full length of the rail when I eventually mount Tech Sights on it. It may not be a big deal, but it's technically a loss of some sight radius.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was off from the barrel until I drifted the sight. The front sight looks off too, but I'm not sure. It could be my eyes being hypervigilant at this point, but I'm pretty positive I'm not. I'll see if I can use a set of levels to determine for sure later. I'm also still waiting to hear back from Marlin. I like fixing my own problems, but I don't want to mar the finish or bend something out of spec either. In the manual it says they test fire the gun for accuracy and function, but they clearly didn't do the former on this sample. I've heard others make similar complaints about the sights being off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thank you for the input everyone. I fixed the problem and just wanted you to know what I did. First off, I sent Marlin a service request on the 9th. I received an acknowledgment from them, so I know they have the correct email address, but I still have not heard back.

I’m a pretty patient person, but the thought of having to put off going to the range for another two weeks or more while they fixed this was not appealing. I grabbed a brass screwdriver and decided to risk bending the rear sight base. I managed to offset it only slightly. If I put any more pressure on it I was sure I’d mar the blued finish. I’m not worried about steel with a brass instrument, but I am worried about the finish.

Seeing that I was headed in the right direction, I merely inverted the rifle on my wood bench and sat it on the rear sight and then used the bench as leverage to bend the sight so that it was level. It now looks perfect. I won’t know how well it does until I get to the range but I planned on putting Tech Sights or maybe even a scope on it eventually anyway. I just didn’t want it to be an eyesore in the meantime.

Anyway, thanks again for the input.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
This makes me think I shouldn't trust my eyes as a level anymore when I install a scope. I tend to hold the rifle a couple degrees canted which makes it more likely I will install one off plumb. Or maybe my head is just crooked.

Great pics of your process sheepdoggit..

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.