Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here know if the Buffalo Classics chamber can be reamed to 45-90 or 45-110? I'm thinking about taking the gun in to have a conversion done. This is a fun rifle, and having an even bigger cartridge would be a blast with Black powder or Pyrodex.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm interested too.. I may be buying one of those Buffalo Classics someday since I cant afford a Sharps replica.

G

·
I would be willing to bet, that if you take the 45-70 and ream it out to 45-110 and load it up with BP . When you touch it off (as light as that gun is) it will stomp the tar out of someone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was afraid someone would say that..

I once fired an 8-bore that nearly knocked my 140lb body @ss over tin cups.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
6pt,

You know that that 45-110 with blackpowder and long barreled Buff' Classic isn't going to kick half as hard as my hot loaded Guide Gun.

Skip,
Just spent half a day lookin at replica single shots. I dont understand how a modern reapeater can cost half what those old single shots do. The Buff Classic is the only reasonable one and it comes with a nice peep site system.

As to the reaming part, you can get the same performance out of smokeless powder in the commonly available .45-70 case without having to ream the chamber.. IMO the only reason to shoot black powder 110/120 is if you have an antique chambered for it or are rich, in the case of the latter you probably would not be interested in the Buff Classic.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Greetings guys... been spending so much time over at Graybeards I plum forgot the H&R talk over here.

Question: Can the Buffalo Classic be reamed up...
Answer: Yes Now I know of a guy who had reamed up to 45-120 although I thought that was a bit much because of barrel twist in the Buffalo Classic.

You will get noticably more kick or backwards push from the higher loadings with 45-90, 45-100 and or 45-110 Just so happens that a good friend of mine just had a Badger Barrel made for his Buffalo Classic and his rifle will now be a 50-90 :D

The way to take care of this is making or putting what is called a "Dead Mule" in the stock bolt hole. If properly made one can fabricate using the metal handle from a mop cut 8" so it will butt up to the stock bolt once finished. But you can add 2.25 pounds of lead weight to your Buffalo Classic this way making it a 10.25 pound rifle instead of the factory 8 pound rifle it is.

If this is not enough dampener for ya, you can get one of those sheilds ya wear under or over your shirt that absorbs the felt recoil. Many BPCR shooters wear these anyway when shooting the 45-100's and the 45-110's simply because unless your rifle is up to weight you are going to feel it everytime.

Reaming up is not always the answer for what your doing unless you are trying to shoot past say 1,000 yards you just don't have to ream up. Now for the "Coolness Factor" its awesome at a Cowboy Match to have a belt full of cartridges that are holding paper patch bullets or those long nose 550-gr scud missles :lol:

Iffin you want to check out some more information on these:

http://the_montanan.tripod.com

I have some very good information on this very subject posted over there. I hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts