Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;D ;D well kinda!!! these savage 1895's were made for savage by Marlin from 1895-1898 around 5000 were made in all. Marlin made the tooling for the savage rifles.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Very nice 1895's Don! Almost as rare as the 1888 Marlins! ;)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Only 5,000 1895's manufactured? Wow... I take it they wre manufactured in the old New Haven plant.
How did the 1895 differ from the 1899?

Lohhah, those rifles are really handsome.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, The 1895's had a reverse curve in the forearm, and the top of the bolt had a hole in it where you could see the firing pin with two letters to say cocked or fired ,the 1899's had a little lever on the bolt top to tell if it was cocked or not. the barrels on the 1895's said Savage repeating arms co. also the serial numbers ran from a little over 3000 to a little over 8000.they also had the long cheek pads on the buttstock. The 1899's started at 10,000. Don

·
Registered
496 Posts
Don, those are some very nice Savages. I have an 1895 myself that is not to bad of shape and I guess it was made in the middle of the production run with serial 5091. My earliest 1899 is 1266X. I don't know if that is a first year or not. It does have a JM barrel on it so Marlin was still supplying parts to Savage.

I would have to say my other rare or scarce Marlins would be my Model 1895 carbine, Model 1895 rifle with a 20" octagon barrel and my Model 32. Also I did not realize the prices they are getting for the 336 Cowboy in 38-55. I have seen them reported that they have been selling well above a $1000.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Parley, a 1894D Cowboy Carbine Limited in 44-40 (limited run of 325 in 2000 and the last 44-40s built by Marlin) sold for over $1200 several months ago. Those Cowboy rifles can bring in some money.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Don,
Didn't they make a few 1899's with the "JM" stamp on the barrel also? I assume leftover barrels from the 1895 runs?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Mike Leck said:
Only 5,000 1895's manufactured? Wow... I take it they wre manufactured in the old New Haven plant.
How did the 1895 differ from the 1899?

Lohhah, those rifles are really handsome.
[/quote

Lohhah?! I think I better get a new eyeglass RX...

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There were a few 1899's with marlin barrels, they were definitely parts use up ! barrels made for the 1899's were marked savage arms co. instead of savage repeating arms co. i have a deluxe 1899 rifle s/n around 18.xxx that has a savage repeating arms hard rubber buttplate, those are extremely rare. i'm pretty sure savage just used up any marlin parts whenever. Don

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I'd be drilling and tapping those bad boys and installing 6-18X50 scopes! ;D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Halwg said:
I'd be drilling and tapping those bad boys and installing 6-18X50 scopes! ;D
Tsk, tsk, if we didn't know you better, Hal....

Loggah, thanks so much for sharing your collection with us. I knew nothing about the Savage 1895's until I saw your post --- now I'm interested in reading some more about the.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a page in Brophys book about them, i cant remember the page number ,its towards the back of the book. Don

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe if "YOU" owned them !!! ;D ;D that bottom one had a case hardened receiver, one of only around 100, like most marlins it became silvery,you can see a little in this photo. Don

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
If looked at from a gunsmith perspective, of a high velocity round, (compared to the vintage rounds) and over all simplicity of a lever gun, (in comparison to "improved" lever guns such as the 71 Win, or the 55 Win), the 99 was a trip to Mars, compared to a trip to CA in a covered wagon. ;D

I have worked on actually very few, as the design is so simple, little major ever goes wrong, but from the old ones, to the ones made more recently, the changes are very few, the design was that well thought out.

And those early ones, were fitted and finished as well as any Win or Remington made. They just never got the reputation deserved. I guess if John Wayne one of the classic western stars, ever would have packed one, things would have been different? ;D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RGR,The savages were more expensive ,than the average Winchester or Marlin !!, maybe "Joe Kidd" will become a classic and everyone will want the rifle that Harlen" Robert Duvall had . ;D Don

·
Super Moderator
15,821 Posts
loggah, I found them pages you referred to in Brophys' book, took some pics, resized and cropped and here they are. They way I posted them is the way they would appear in the book. Nice irons! Mr fixit

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Had forgotten about "joe kidd" :D Another movie where Marlins are shown, is the one based on "the mad trapper" cant think of the name, with Bronson. I have heard that was based on a real event.

Anyway, several Marlins are seen.

How much more did the Savages cost?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RGR, The mad trapper of rat river ,based on a true story in the Canadian North west. the trappers name was Albert Johnson,The basic Savages were $20-$25 in the teens, around $5 more then the Marlins and winchesters were. Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts