Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reloading light bullets for the 30-30?

Looking to start reloading for my 30-30... I have the data for 150, 160 and 170 grain boolits but I'm looking for a 110gr or similar weighted bullets and load data for smaller game than deer. I understand that pointed bullets aren't an option so I'm a little lost on what exactly to look for and where to start

Thanks for any help,
Rick

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
An embarrassing accurate load in my .30-30 has been:

R-P brass
CCI-200 primer
Hornady 170 FP
29.5 grains of IMR3031.

A Winchester M94 ain't supposed to be as accurate as this load is in my rifle.

It starts out at just less than 2150 fps, and I have seen it fully penetrate a deer (sideways) at 236 yards.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Ive used Speers 110gr varmint grenades, not as good as the old Barnes ones, but they are no more, so I keep 500 of the Speers on hand, along with the last 100 Barnes

Out the odd six they are good for 3450fps

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm getting good accuracy using BL-C2 and hornady 110 grain soft points in my 30-30 contender pistol. If you score some 110's let me know and I can give you specific load data.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Used to load the 30-06 with 110 M1 carbine jacketed bullets with 11 to 13grs of Unique for squirrels (only owned one gun), it was I seem to remember around 1400 FPS, accurate enough for the job, no pressure. Would think it would work equally well in a 30-30.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh boy all this information and ideas! Lol the random 170grn load is off topic but I'll jot it down just in case I use something that big!!
Anyone have any loaded information on the Seirra Plinkers? Would like some data before I start buying bullets and those caught my eye as a good squirrel/groundhog but the 125s may be a better choice yet!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have 2 "Plinker" loads....as always, the standard loading cautions apply:
100 gr. plinker/ 8 gr. Trailboss. I get 1 1/2 in @ 50 yds.

100 gr. half jkt/ 8 gr. WW231. I get 1 in @ 50 yds.

Just a bit off what you may be looking for is my favorite light LEAD plinker load: 95 gr. SWC/ 4.5 gr. Trailboss. Good for 1 in @ 50 yds. I have used both commercial cast and swaged bullets with this load and always get great accuracy.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I've read of some people doing the 1+1 (one in chamber, one in magazine) with various pointed bullets to be on the safe side. I guess that could be an option if experimenting with loads/bullets, etc.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
110gr in 30-30 142 (Copy).JPG I just loaded these Barry's 110gr plated over 7 gr of Unique. . The mouth was slightly belled with needle nose pliers and crimped just enough with Lee crimp die to remove the flare. I'll be trying these for accuracy or (lack of) in an H&R brake barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Looking to start reloading for my 30-30... I have the data for 150, 160 and 170 grain boolits but I'm looking for a 110gr or similar weighted bullets and load data for smaller game than deer. I understand that pointed bullets aren't an option so I'm a little lost on what exactly to look for and where to start

Thanks for any help,
Rick
Hello,

Beartooth Bullets out of Idaho.

Dover, Idaho

208- 437-1865

Beartooth Bullets > Home

Beartooth Bullets Secure Online Shopping

Beartooth Bullets Secure Online Shopping
115g
FN
PB
$22.00
2 lbs.
View Details
Great plinking and small game bullet.
Sizing Diameter Qty. of boxes
115g
FN
GC
$25.50
2 lbs.
View Details
An amazingly versatile and accurate projectile especially applicable to small game loads. Accurate from 900-2400 fps in most .30 caliber hunting rifles. Gas-Checked to prevent leading and for ease of load development.

My husband, Montana Man, uses these for my special light loads in his Made in CT Marlin 336C (30-30). Sizing diameter - he uses .310 but there are two other sizes there too.

The owner of the BTB company's name is Marshall Stanton and he personally uses these loads a lot too. I spoke to him about this even though I do not hunt or control varmints. My husband has bought from this man in the past and when we need more 'cast bullets' he would buy from him unless my husband 'casts' his own here at home. My husband spoke to Marshall about my special loads due to my physical issues and Marshall told him that he thought it would work well for me. So both of them agreed to this and I was willing to try them out. My husband bought a fair amount from him via snail mail (Paper order form and check.) but we spoke to him first. We had it delivered to our Western Montana post office in a short time but that was BEFORE the craziness started in all shortages and when some companies were waiting for the raw materials to be shipped including them. His wife personally told me this and to others over the telephone when it came to ALL orders in the past. I gather that they have caught up a bit in their back orders too.

Lyman Cast Bullet Manual has a lot in it according to my husband who has reloaded for 40 years.

MM, my husband, has a bunch of reloading books but he thought that this Lyman book would be good for you when it comes to cast bullets.

Disclaimer: I do not reload but I have helped him and others find products with a list.

Best wishes to you!

Cate

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
PS~~~

PS:

My husband used UNIQUE reloading powder to load those special cast bullets for me too.

They were and still are very accurate bullets from the gitgo and I could HANDLE the shooting well considering the day that I shot them was a 'bad and sore day' for me. I can't find my old, old post about this now. Sorry.

Cate

·
Registered
51 Posts
You have lots of options with a 30-30. I have used 6.5 grains of unique under a 86 grain Hornady pistol bullet and 2.2 cc (lee dipper) of trail boss under 110 grain bullets. They shoot to the same point of aim at 25 yards as my deer load does at 100 yards.

If I were you, I'd start with trail boss and a variety of light bullets. Try different combinations until you get a load that doesn't require adjusting your scope/sights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm perhaps a bit late to the party, but if you're not averse to loading lead bullets, I could provide you with a sample from any/all of the various profiles & weights that I cast in 30cal....

Lee 311-100-2R: 100gr plain-base
MP 311-410: ~125gr GC - long HP pin (deep cavity)
~127gr GC - short HP pin (short cavity)
~130gr GC - solid

NOE 311-165: ~168gr GC
Lee 309-170F: ~173gr GC
Lee 312-185-1R: ~188gr GC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts