Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#18 · 3 h ago

I generally only buy real Marlins, for two reasons,1 is quality,2 is history, my third Pieve is because Remington nearly destroyed the Marlin brand, they put a whole factory of trained Marlin guys out of work. They could have kept operations right there and kept the Marlin factory running just as is with all its faults and also its positives, but they moved it putting long-time, knowledgeable Marlin guys out of a job. Then they ran a brand into the ground AND put a whole bunch of guys who thought THEY had a job out of work too, when they could not even make their guns right.

I’ll bet all the management guys left with a golden parachute too( for those who don’t know” golden parachutes” is a term in an industry where the top-level fat cats have a sort of guarantee that they will be well off whether they run a company right or wrong. Basically, if the plane crashes they get a golden chute to save them but Labor gets screwed, the product got screwed and Marlin guys have to pay three times as much for Marlins now! I got a grudge, I’m Union too. which means pro-labor.

Whether Rugerlins become the real Marlins, it looks good, but it’s still up in the air. I’ll feel better when there are new 30/30’s, 35 rems, .444’s, maybe walnut stocks, at least real wood not just grey laminate 45/70’sand at more affordable prices. I do believe Ruger has, and will, make a good product, whether it will be a workingman's tool or just for well-heeled guys, well we will see . For now, I’ll stick to JM’s . Sorry about all the hot air! just sayin’!

This started as a post in Marlin Forums, just thought I would expand on my feelings a bit.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
At least the Marlin Name and manufacturing is in better hands now. From what I've seen of the rifles they have produced so far, I do believe we will have Marlin quality rifles in stores for sale into the future.

Mike T.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
I agree but am sure the Ruger made Marlins will not lack in quality. My main concerns is the options they will produce and the cost. I know here in 2022 prices are crazy but if that’s the case I will look for good Ct. made Marlins.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Yep, prices are way up. But it costs a lot of $$$ to produce quality firearms today. At my age, I am not a buyer anymore, I have what I need. I never invested in semi-auto anything. I only own what's legal in the game lands. :)

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I started buying JM models 336 and 39 about 5 years ago. Luckily I could get them then for $275-350. A few super nice ones I had to pay $500. My focus was on pre-safety models... as I felt they would never be made again... and something that is of good quality and unavailable new... tends to appreicate.

Guns historically hold their value if cared for... not much else you can buy does... other than real estate.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just like with Colt Pythons made new, the original Marlin value will continue to climb up and up! I love marlin lever actions, especially the 39 series old and new. Can't beat a Marlin 39A. I can't stop adding them to my collection whenever I get a good price.

I won't buy a new Marlin nor a new Colt Python. I'm just old fashioned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
All of my Marlins are “JM”. I enjoy all of them. My hope is that soon things will settle a bit and parts will become available again for the “JM’s”. My rugers are quality guns also. Not going to go as far to say I will never purchase a new Ruger Marlin. Leaving that option open. One thing for sure is I have no interest in the remington marlins. At my age I also probably have all I need. But as I tell my wife need doesn’t matter when you want it! 😜

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
At 63, I have all the Marlins I will "need" for the balance of my life. Glad I was able to obtain them for reasonable prices. I hope Ruger makes what we seek instead of the 20" PG, wide scan hood ramped sighted standard offering.

How about light weight SG trappers, long and short barrels, capped forends, octagon barrels, and dovetailed sights, etc. 336, 1894, 39? Let's get back to yesteryear.

We need the Cowboy line, LTS/marauder, 39 both long and short, ,...........I could be persuaded to buy one more.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yet to see any Ruger made Marlin here in Australia, but it won't surprise me to see prices hit $3000 ! I'm not in the market for anything but a long octagonal barrel 1894 in 44mag would catch my eye.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I love JMs too. But my primary Hunter is an early 2020 made 336 BL. I’ve polished all the internals and it’s buttery smooth. Accurate as heck, and fit and finish are top notch. Would I prefer it to be a JM? Sure, but there are plenty of nice Remlins out there too. I’m a Ruger fan as well, so look forward to a 336 from Ruger.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
I started buying jm model 336 and 39 about 5 years ago. Luckily I could get them then for $275-350. A few super nice ones I had to pay $500. My focus was on presafety models....as I felt they would never be made again.....and something that is of good quality and unavailable new....tends to appreicate.
Guns historically hold their value if cared for.....not much else you can buy does....other than real estate
You're VERY fortunate to get those rifles at those prices. At least one website that I have listed some of my rifles for sale is frequented by people that are expecting prices from 10 years ago. I Post that my selling prices are FIRM but I still got people that wanted to haggle. I've been looking for other places to sell some of the rifles I would like to sell. No luck so far. I will NOT sell a rifle that is worth $900 or $1000 for less than that. Period. :cool:

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Up to 4 years ago $300-$400 was the average price of a JM Marlin then Remington screwed the supply chain up ,throw in Covid for another excuse to raise the price,and it became a boon for people with Marlins to sell, A curse for a working guy who wanted a deer rifle.Now we have to work twice as hard to afford a regular old Marlin( the kind I like).I just payed about $250 for one because I have some skills.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What value would you guys put on a 1950s (haven’t got serial number yet) waffle top that is one owner, and un-drilled? It’s got a couple of marks on it from 2 hunting trips, but hasn’t left the safe since the mid 80s.
Flower Plant Leaf Textile Petal

1 - 20 of 56 Posts