Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one tell the difference between love and real love? Say, with a song. I used to love the song, "yummy yummy yummy I got L-O-V-E in my tummy" and you know as I got older I didn't really L-O-V-E that song anymore.

However, I think that some songs hit you on a deeper level, and you will continue to love them no matter how old you may get. And some songs you will just never forget the words to, either, such as my uncle who often can't remember who people are but he knows the words to his old timey favorite songs.

For instance, the tune to some Christmas carols really grabbed me as a kid and they continue to do so, such as "the First Noel."

I want this to be a thread about love of all things / life / concepts / food / songs / jokes, whatever it is that you love, REALLY love.

I understand exactly what happened on my other L-O-V-E thread, but you know what I had a good time there.

A real good time :wink:

But good times only last as long as they last.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Exactly what happened on your other love thread is that you chose to make it about me, like everything else, and now you get to bawl about what a victim you are.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I like songs that paint a slice of life, a person or an experience; just paint it so well that it reminds one of something they have known.

Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, Tom Chapin (adult albums), Woods Tea Company and Jimmy Buffet seem to age very well. John Lennon cut a solo album of just plain bedrock rock; makes one understand what sent him on the path he chose; and makes me 16 and (we won’t go there) again. Patrick Ball’s “Gwilan’s Harp” (Storyteller) and “The Piper Remembered” written by Sean Potts (Chieftains) in reverence for his Grandfather or played by Rusty Jacobs (Woods Tea Company); Rusty was playing it in a bar one night, when Sean walked in….

·
Registered
868 Posts
Personally I have always been enthralled with John Lennon. His writing style and intellect remind me of someone....right, Toughie? But someone with his own wild and unique streak of individuality.

"Those who make their own hats also make their own futures".

And I believe that's just the way it's gonna work out :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, that someone does remind me quite a bit of John Lennon. But, as you said, he also maintains a separate style and individuality. It will serve this someone well in life. :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ah yes.

And that's what real love is, not some silly little song, it's giving everything you have to bring up a child. But I guess some people have nothing more than songs to remind them of love.

I got so lucky.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Personally, I like to say it with a song. More fun if you are gazing at a set of loving eyes with a smile below them.

I know I'm not your first love, there's been others before but I'm the one that's got you now and that's all that matters to me.

I know other arms have held you, and I know you've been thrilled and pleased, but, mine are the arms that hold you now and that's all that matters to me.

I came alive when you came along, you brought life into me, honey I don't care what's in your past, your all that matters to me.

I know other lips have kissed you but I'm not jealous of these, mine are the lips that kiss you now and that's all that matters to me.

·
Registered
868 Posts
How does one tell the difference between love and real love?
I totally agree, RanchDog. And there is no difference between love and real love.

By the way, that is a very interesting looking dog you have under your name. What kind is it?

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Don't know the difference between love and real love?

I've been married way too many times to figure it out, but when I do a ceremony and look at the eyes on the bride and groom it's as close to a description I could come to. The eyes are saying I'm going to spend the rest of my life loving you, no matter what I have them say in the "Repeat after me" that look between a man and a woman during a ceremony says many things and it's going to be different with every couple because the look of love has no words it is just there.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
yeppers! Swany. and the only thing "for sure" in a marriage staying together is super glue....most stats that I have seen say that 1 of 2 end in divorce these days....and even with max counseling, there are no gaurantees. I suspect much of the wed-and-shed is a result of people never learning to resolve or work out their problems and issues together. The first response is to run...the "Joseph-Response" rather than to stay and deal with the difficult part of forgiving and forgetting. The latter is the hardest to do....to forget, truly. Whereas in earlier times, a marriage partner and family was an economic asset, so people stayed together out of need, more than "love," it is not an economic asset these days...love, as a feeling," is fleeting....love as a choice requires "commitment"....something all too many are unwilling to make.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Too true Ruger.
I blame it on the "me me me" attitude seen alot these days.
Its gotta be tough to make an "us" or "we" if your too worried about yourself.
Instant gratification is where its at these days & marriage dont often contain long term instant gratification, if there even is such a thing. :?
I didn't like being married for a long time & sometimes it still sucks, but I'm stubborn & thick headed as well as hating to change course once its set so I'm toughing it out. As a reward I got the best little buddies a feller can ask for!
I find, no matter how shitty something might look, if your not real picky & you look hard enuff theres something to be greatful for.
Loves just like everything else. If you dont work at it dies.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Why didn't you like being married?

I'm not very good at committment myself, or at least I wasn't while my son was growing up. Too many people are raising other people's kids.

And there are way too many NMPs in the world to make choosing just one be very easy. I have a hard enough time deciding which shoes to wear most days.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Big Larry said:
What do you do when a woman gets to that point in her life, when the physical aspect is no longer important to her. It still is with ME, but not to her. I love her and wanna grow old with her, but I've still got to have it. What's a man to do without going extra curricular??
Try wooing her again.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Why didn't you like being married?
If your talking to me its because it cramped my style in ways I didn't want no cramping. :lol: Takes some getting used to when your acustomed to doing as you please. All of a sudden some woman yells at you for bringing mud in one day & the next she's pissed cuz you dont come home till the muds dried up & cracked off in the bar.
I didn't really wish to get married but her family is religiouser than mine was so she couldn't live in sin. Said she'd move in if we got married so I sighned up. :lol: I never read the fine print I guess & it took getting used to. Dont mean no disrespect but before that women were disposable things in my life. I liked them alright but eventually they tired of me & left & that was ok. This is different & it took a bit but I figured out I must be in love or I'da left.
You dont hafta get along to have love. I love my parents but dissagree with them about alot. I love my kids & God knows theyre crazy. I love my sister even tho she insists on getting married to an idiot & I love my wife even if she thinks its beneath her to simply cook, clean & obey.
Nope, love to me isn't something that goes away, its for life. If she leaves I'll still love her & respect her for her decision. I cant leave, even if I wanted to & I dont, because I made a commitment, a promise if you will. :wink:
She's stuck with me. :p

1 - 20 of 86 Posts