Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brass order came from Buffalo Arms today! Man those guys are fast! Got 20 rds of .45-110, and another 20 rds of 297-230 Morris Long. It's funny to see these two cartridges alongside one another!
Dropped a case in the Sharps, and it appears it isn't a .45-110 after all. It's a .45-100, as the case needs a bit of trimming. 2.6" overall length. Could have saved myself some trimming had I been told what it was correctly. Oh well, I guess it's better as I can trim them down to the exact length I need.
Gosh, recoil wont be nearly as harsh with a .45-100! :wink:

G

·
marlinman93 said:
Gosh, recoil wont be nearly as harsh with a .45-100! :wink:
Just repeat that two yourself every time you pull the trigger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I'm actually getting a tape to play by my bed at night!

G

·
Subliminal messageing for recoil..........that might actually work :!: Might try that the next time I have to touch off my 416 REM MAG :?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Marlinman,

It won't hurt for long! :wink: Be sure to grit your teeth so no fillings come loose!! :shock: You wouldn't want to have flinch-itis when a certain travelling target gets to your house!! :p SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loaded up 20 rounds of .45-100, with various powders, and bullets, including some of Kaintuck's paper patched with the sacred black!
Also loaded up some of the 297-230 Morris L. A charge of 3.0 grains of Unique is a compressed load! :lol: With a 43 grain cast lead bullet, the compressed load gives 900 fps, with a whopping 75 ft lbs of energy! What an elephant gun! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Well, I don't know about an elephink, but it would sure knock a couple feathers off Mr Rook!! :D Might make a good parlor gun, too! I see NAA has a couple new calibers for their DA hide-out auto. A 25 & 32 on a necked-down 380 case. Doesn't sound too far from what you've got. Seems like about every time someone comes with a 'new' cartridge, it's already been done or something close to it.

(Be sure to practice!! ) :p :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a dream last night that I won a really neat old schuetzen target with a .45-100, but when I woke up I was just sleeping with my arm all twisted behind my back! Thought that pain was too real!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
A certain Schutzen nut in Tenn told me the farthest shot from center has to forfeit his rifle to the others so they can sell it & buy Nambus!! :p Well, I'm all about THAT!! :D SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
ahhahahahhaaaaaaaaa......

:D

not so nebhogger! you'll scare away the competiton!....... :wink:
we tell him AFTER his shoot is scored! :shock:

it should reach you by saturday.....and nebhogger.....i did a dirty deed, when you open the box, your war dept will laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ya got me skeered now! :shock: She's either gonna laugh or reach fer the scalpin' knife!! :shock: SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait a darn minute there you two! Nobody said nothing about guns trading hands! I'll be shootin my shot with my Daisy BB gun! At least I can bear to part with that!
Wait a minute, I'm the last guy to shoot, so maybe I just draw a black spot on the target, or say I shot right through one of you guy's holes! Yeah, a tie for first place! I'll break it in half, and send you your half!
Nambu Pambus!

·
Registered
394 Posts
MM93,
Did I see on one of your posts that have an 8.15mm rifle? To make a long story short, when I am not using my 1898 for grouse hunting, I carry a lightweight drilling in 16x16 over 9.3x72R. I have a book of German gunmaker catalogs, and I found my rifle in Heym's catalog. My gun is marked A.F.W. Timner, Coblenz. I understand that local gunmakers would by basic actions from big outfits and build to customer's specs. I tried the German Gun Collectors to find out who Timner was, but they kind of ignored my plea. Do you have any reference material for German guns? Proof marks put my gun between 1891 and 1912. All 3 barrels are nitro proofed. By the way, my favorite 45-70 load that I used in my Pedersoli Sharps and Remington, plus my 1888 Springfield, was 23 grains of IMR 4198, a small tissue wad and a 405 grain hardcast bullet. I know your Sharps is a 2-6/10", but I threw it out there for grins. With a .460" bullet, my Trapdoor parts gun kept 10 shots in 4" at 100 yards off the bench. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roundsworth,
Yes, I have an 8.15x46R schuetzen rifle built by Haenel. It's an Original Aydt action with external extractor, the most common of Aydt style actions. I've heard Tom Rowe's books on the German rifles are the best source around. I don't have much in the way of reference books that covers anything beyond the factory common brands.
As you mentioned, most of these custom rifles were either made from factory purchased actions, or copies of common actions. Haven't heard the name Timner before.
Thanks for the info on your favorite loads. I'm going to try some .45-70 loads that I use in my Hepburn, Ballards, and Rolling Block also, and work up from there. Also loaded up one load of ffg Cleanshot, that is basically a .45-70 case leveled, and dumped into the .45-2 6/10" case. It allows the bullet to be just seated against a lubed card, with slight compression. I've 20 loaded with various bullets and powder, so if I get a chance, I'll head to the range Sunday.

·
Registered
394 Posts
MM93,
I tried 777 in my Trapdoor and was disappointed in the results. I fired 9 rounds and could see visible expansion right at the head of the case (the thickest part!). I miked them and was astounded at the figures I attained!I fired at least 200 rounds through my Trapdoor with various loads, some mid-powered and some that duplicated original factory loadings, with no signs of excessive pressure. Never once did a case refuse to eject. I studied Hodgdon's material in minute detail and did everything but use my Starrett depth micrometer to verify compression. I pulled the bullets on the remaining 11 rounds and tossed the 777 away. Have you ever tried it?

·
Registered
719 Posts
triple 7

my vetterli loves this powder.....shoots the 333gr bullet with 45-70 wad under it....nice groups, lots of smoke, and power......if i choose to shoot it at live things!
my cases aren't expanded, they seal up good......each to his own! :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have no doubt that 777 works quite well in many cases. I did lots of research before assembling my first batch of cartridges. If it had not exhibited classic signs of high pressure, I would have stayed with it. As it was, I had a few other options that did not present any problems. I abandoned the 777 after making a noble attempt.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I've never tried 777. I have had great results with 4227, 4759, and my old standby Unique.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I experimented extensively with Pyrodex CTG & 777 when I worked accurate loads up for my 10.4X47R. I found a very accurate load with the CTG (no longer made), but the Mrs didn't care for the smell when I cleaned cases in the sink. I scored a # of 777, and it took a lot of experimentation to find the sweet spot. It really amazed me how much difference 1/2 grain would make. I also experimented with wads.

Marlinman's tip of legalpad backing worked well with Pyrodex, but for some obscure reason, 777 shot best with .030 Walters fiber wads. I have also heard BPCR vets say that different lubes will give varying results. I have only used SAECO NRA formula lube, and it has worked well. I believe kaintuck favors Rooster red lube. Oh, at the range, I run a patch wetted with Windex& vinegar down the bore after every 3 shots. I can't tell you it helps, but it doesn't seem to be hurting, either.

I'm sure I should have tried real black in the course of my experimentation, but different varieties aren't that easy to find in these parts. It's a lot of fun working up accurate loads for these obscure old cartridges! Now if I could get my 8X50R to shoot, I'd be really happy!! SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What bullet do you use in your 8x50R Hogger? I have a friend who has an old Mannlicher in that cartridge, and he uses a 225 grain spire point, with IMR 3031. He's getting groups near one inch at 100 yds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts