Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got all my stuff together and ready to load 45/70. Although I have been reloading pistol since the 1980s (almost all pistol) I have never loaded 45/70.

I have new Starline Brass that I have sized and chamfered the case mouth. Length is quite consistent running about 2.010 in. Bullets are Hornady 300 grain hp and IMR 4198. I am loading on a Dillon 650 and not using the casefeeder. Dies are mixed but I think a good combo. Lyman sizeing die, Lee powder through with a Lee Auto Drum measure, Lyman 2 step expanding die M, Lyman seating die and a Lee factory crimp die.

As I said, I am not new too reloading but also not too proud to take advise from Marlin people so feel free to share your knowledge with me and everyone else.

Padraig

·
Registered
218 Posts
I also use the Lee collet factory crimp rifle die. I have found it to be easier on the brass than roll crimp dies, and more consistent if the brass is not exactly the same length. Having said that, people have been using the roll crimp in the seating die for decades with no problems. Try both and decide if the LFC die is worth the extra step to you.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
The Lee FCD will crimp consistently at a fixed distance above the base of the cartridge case. It produces this crimp regardless of the length of the case provided it is longer than an certain minimum. This is very unlikely unless you are using Hornady Leverevolution cases.

A consistent roll crimp is dependent upon the length of the case. Slightly longer cases will receive a tighter crimp, shorter cases will get a lighter crimp, depending upon how much case mouth goes into the shelf that makes the crimp. If a case is too long, a roll crimp will buckle the case. The FCD would still have made a perfect crimp on that same round and would not buckle the case.

Of course if the cases are way short, neither die will produce a crimp.

You can still rotate the cartridge about 1/4 turn and crimp again. The FCD has three petals to the collet. I usually don't perform this extra step and I'm satisfied with the results. YMMD

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First round, everything ajusted, ready to rock and roll. Crimp seems a little heavy to me although comparing it to a factory winchester it is not. Backed off the FCD a bit.

Padraig
IMG_20201017_143529619~2.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
48.5 of IMR 4198 is just under Hornady's max load for Marlin load levels. They say 2100 fps. (Winchester case, Fed210, in a 22" 1895).

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hodgdon.com lever action data

Start 53.7grs
Max 57.2grs

I want no part of that

They list 48grs as max for Trapdoor loads

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I loaded 48 grains of IMR 4198 under a 300 grain Hornaday up. Will see how it shoots and will likely try a couple of different loads up and down a couple of grains. Would like a accurate load around 2,000 + fps out my SBL.

So far I am happy with my mixed up set of dies. Really like the stepped Lyman expander (M) die and the Lee factory crimp die. Never had such an easy time setting up a crimp. Also pleased with the Lee Auto Drum powder measure. Again easy set up and good accuracy. Also, with five dies I am happy to be reloading with a progressive press.

Padraig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts