Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago I pickup a used Marlin Glenfield 22 semi auto. It looked good and clean and used, but not abused.

After disassembly, clean, oil & reassemply I took it to the range and I had FTE along with FTF's. When I looked at the round the didn't feed, the bullet was bent at an angle compaired to the cartridge. I did get it to shoot a few rounds, but they were few and far between the failures.

I read up on these problems here and on other forums. I purcased a new recoil spring, lifter, lifter spring and new style feed throat. I also checked the chamber for damage that the rounds might be hanging up on. I still have the same problems with the new parts. Exactly the same in fact.

Any other suggestions on what could be wrong before I toss it in the proverabial trash heap? :-[ And if I can't get this one working, how about a suggestions on a inexpensive 22 plinking rifle that will work.... oh say 90% of the time.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Not to be a wise arse for once, but have you taken it to a reputable gunsmith to have it checked?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't. I've thought about it and I may still do it.

I originally thought of doing that, but after checking it out online, it seemed to be pretty basic stuff... replace some parts and call it good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check the ejector wire. Alignment is critical on a 60. Try solid nose ammo. Sometimes hollow points are a little "fat". If you are really going to toss it in the trash, I'll give you my address.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
I have 1-3 that will not load. It is 1 of 2 old ones. 1 is flawless the other I payed $35 to a gunsmith we replaced the loading shoot but it made no difference. I bought both rifles for $65 I have cut my losses and side lined the bad one. I get to shooting rats and after 300-400 rounds I grab another gun. No you can't stop and clean a gun in the middle of a war that's why I have 3 22's and a 17HMR ;D

·
Registered
274 Posts
A cheaper fix than gun repair is to back over them with your truck. I HAD two of them, and they are junk, nothing but trouble. Get yourself a Marlin bolt action or a 39A, if you can afford it.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Find a nice 49, or 49DL if you want an autoloader. I really like my old Model 49.

·
Registered
451 Posts
mrtwistert said:
Check the ejector wire. Alignment is critical on a 60. Try solid nose ammo.

Exactly. I've put many misfeeding Model 60's back into a healthy way simply by making sure the ejector was in the right spot or by replacing it with one that wasn't bent up. Ditto on the use of solids vs. hollowpoints too. My guess is that the ejector wire isn't in the little notch it's supposed to be in.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
mrtwistert said:
Check the ejector wire. Alignment is critical on a 60. Try solid nose ammo. Sometimes hollow points are a little "fat". If you are really going to toss it in the trash, I'll give you my address.
I've used the copper plated Federals in my M60 with no problems

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the options.

I've checked the ejector wire and evan compaired it to a friends that feeds/ejects flawlessly. Tried six different brands of ammo too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more thing to check. Is the action post holding the action into the receiver tightly? If it has some play, the bolt will barely catch the rim of the cartridge and then slip over and bent the cartridge in the middle. It will also allow the ejector wire to sit low enough that it would not engage the fired case enough to eject it properly.

I have a 60 that had that problem. I replaced the action post with a section of steel rod that fit snugly and solved the FTF and FTE problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clarke, By action post are you referring to the front and rear posts that the action is bolted to?

If so, it is good and tight. I've even tried running it a bit loose, snug and tight to no avail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/SchematicDisplay.aspx?schem=/images/schematics/Marlin_60NewModel_schem.jpg&name=60+New+Model+(*)

I am refering to part #1 on the schematic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know what to say. It sounds like you've checked/replaced everything that could be related to the problem. If you live in central Illinois and want to get rid of it (i.e. sell), let me know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts