Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I got some Hornady 325 gr Ftx's to load for my 1895SS. The data listed on the Hornady site at that time listed 53 grs of RE7 as a near max load. I loaded up 100 using this data. Haven't shot any of them. All the data I find now from various sources lists 49 as about tops. Should I pull what I have and start over?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Loaddata.com has it listed at 51.5 grains. I would pull them and instead of starting with a supposed max load work them up so you know what your gun can handle. Some 1895's can handle more than others. Depends how your chamber was reamed.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I shoot 53 grains of Re7 with a 300 jacketed bullet but worked my way up to it. The extra 25 grains of bullet doesn't seem like a lot but it can really cause pressure issues.
Invest in an inertia puller and start over, just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Are you sure you were looking at loads for a Marlin? It sounds like a load for a Ruger#1. I'd pull them and work my way up. My 8th edition Hornady book has a max load of 55.5 gr. with a 350 gr. bullet and 325 gr. bullets aren't listed.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I'm wondering now if you misread your book. The powder right below RL-7 is listed as 53 grains max. But that is A 2230.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I lost my load data in a computer crash a year or so back but my sometimes foggy brain now remembers that I loaded these when I owned a Buffalo Classic. I am going to pull them and re-do with a more shoulder and Marlin friendly load. If I remember correctly I loaded for some of those possible NE long shots. Thanks for the input. I did find the Hornady data page someone here on MO created for download. It stated 51.2 as max. Might have misread the listed load. Don't know. I probably got the load info I used over on Graybeard Outdoors for the BC. Anyway all is well. I guess God was watching out for my stupidity.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Nice to have a book for reference. It doesn't crash and the old cartridges are not deleted during an update......
I still have books from the 1980's. Cartridges are added or deleted and some new or different powders are listed so I still like to update them. It is interesting how much data can vary from book to book by source, even though the components are the same. It is a good reminder why you work up to the top end and not just go there initially.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.