Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Sell me on a .41 mag

Hey Folks,

I've been thinking this may be the caliber to get for deer / hog hunting and woods carry. The Ruger BH in 6 1/2" looks pretty sweet and just right for Maryland Deer hunting laws. I'm drawn to this caliber because it seems to be just right in terms of power, recoil, and trajectory. Also, I reload and like the uniqueness of the caliber.

Any opinions welcomed.

-Kevin

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had that same gun a few years back......I regret trading it. Its not a 44, but close enough for me. What really sold me.....with my reloads, was when the first time I hit one of those steel rams at 200 yards (in creedmore position), I was extatic. I only hit those rams 3 out of ten.....but I did not care after the first one went down. This was with a stock out of the box gun, with no improvements, just my reload.

Now that I am learning to cast, I could shoot heavier bullets then was available back then.

Next to a .45 long colt in a ruger bisley, the .41 mag ruger black hawk would be my very next choice. The .44 just does not get me too excited.

Since you reload, once you have all the components (brass, bullets, powder, and primers) wont make any differents what they charge for factory stuff.

Good luck and enjoy it if you get it....its a great gun....I liked it.

Lonerider

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts

I love the .41, I think it's a fine cartridge. I've never owned a .44, and probably won't, except maybe a .44SPC Smith 696 or Ruger, and it's much more than the .357 will ever be. I pretty much have my .41 Grocery List filled out... a 4" Smith, a 5.5" Bisley and an 1894FG; about the only thing left is a Dan Wesson. With 250grn Cast Performance bullets over a healthy charge of W296, you wouldn't know it wasn't a .44... ;D

It is a unique cartridge without being hopelessly obsolete and handloading helps. I wouldn't want to be stuck using factory ammo... $$$ :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts

While I no longer own any 41's, I'm still a huge fan of the round and the guns chambered for it. Were I to go back to adopting 41 Magnums again, I'd need a Marlin 1894, a Ruger Bisley, a S&W 657 (or two), and a 7-1/2 inch Redhawk. When I had my early Redhawk, I experimented with bullet weights from 160 to 295 grains, and it seemed like everything I tried shot well, it's a VERY accurate caliber. It shoots flatter and has more energy than the 44 Magnum out of the same barrel length, at least according to some old geezer named Elmer Keith. The 41 Magnum has a lot going for it. If there is a drawback, it's the lack of diversity in available bullet weights, but what's out there is good stuff. 8)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

I have a Taurus Tracker .41 mag that is my favorite "big" bore woods walking gun. The 41 can be down loaded to a level that allows easy target practice or go the the full bore loads for most big game. As Papajohn stated it is a very accurate caliber!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts