Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Nice Marlin 336 lever action 35 rem article in Sep Rifle Magazine

Hi all,
First let me declare that 30.30 is the only sensible do about anything caliber out there. Way better than big, old, fat and heavy bullets. :biggrin: Just kidding, although I am a 30-30 fan myself.

But, I did want to pass on a good article in the Sept issue of Rifle mag that I picked up today. It is on page 10, not sure if you can find the article on the internet or not. It is only 2 pages long. The author "John Haviland" writes about his own person Marlin 336 in 35 rm. He gives a brief amount of history and then talks about some ballistics, he actually compares 30-30 vs .35 rem and goes over some pros and cons of both. Each camp will interpret his comparison between the two calibers differently. The article has some snippets of good technical information and then some good hunting stories.

Anyway, I thought it was a good read and would pass the word for those die hard 35 rem fans out there that might want to read it. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
There are other hunting calibers that compare to the 35rem?
This is news to me never knew the 30-30 could be good.
Oh well probably some propaganda by them who do not know a good caliber.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
There are some rifle calibers whose performance on game animals is far better than it's printed paper ballistics would let us believe. Those who have used the .35 Rem know it as the "thumper" it really is.

Chocdog

·
Registered
551 Posts
:biggrin: I love both 30-30 and 35. Thick woods and brush hunting it's the 35, more open hunting it's the 30-30, and wet weather since I have a 336ss.

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
That is a great article. Everyone has a favorite. In our family, 35's were regarded as too slow, too much trajectory, and too much weight for whitetails. Our "thumper" was a 32Wspl which got replaced by 257 Roberts for Dad and Grampie, 308W for my Uncle and 8x57 for me after a brief stint with a 6.5 Swede. I was a late bloomer to 35's for their real merits and Marlins in any flavor.

Watching the OP at the Happenz 4 with his 30-30, I'm surprised he'd give a 35 a sideways glance. LOL! Great job way out there, Ron!

Jeff

·
Registered
210 Posts
Awesome article, thanks for spreading the word. I will be reaching for wool this year but it wont be plad!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Thanks for the share!

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Thanks... gotta' love those .35 rems.. :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts