Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in trade from T-Roy it was a sweet rifle, but I wanted to change it a little bit, so I had the magazine extended a sling stud added to the front and a Grizzly Custom Barrel band so I could add a light.
This will be my all weather piginator! Can't wait to shoot this!
Before pic, with my GBL for comparison:

After I got it back from the smith:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Very nice. Tomorrow I'll post pics of my BL project.

Reactions: mazer

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Sweet! That ought to work! What's the barrel length? 18"?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mazer,

THAT looks like a hog-slayer indeed! That's a very slick looking 35 !

(jealously kicking in . . . another project starting to spin gears in my head . . . must resist . . . must re-s- . . . . oh never mind, this Marlinitis is hopeless)

Congrats on great looking shooter and I can't wait for pics of it laying on some BACON ! :biggrin:

Regards,

B

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Great job! She turned out sweet! Congratulations on seeing that project in your mind and bringing it to life. DP

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Good stuff! Keeping it fun is what a Marlin is about! I like original, Wild and everything in between. Made that one your's for sure!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Very nice! :top:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TmbrWlkr -> The smith is local here in SC, his name is Ray Silver he has his shop in Sportsman Inc. Rock Hill SC, he's worked on a lot of my Marlins when things get beyond what I'm comfortable doing!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Mazer,
Does he specialize in Marlins or lever actions in general?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SC Reb-> No, not Marlin specific. He's been able to do most of what I wanted however!

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Barrel length is 16" :biggrin:
Nice looking rifle.

Q: What's the difference between a 15 3/4" rifle barrel and a 16" rifle barrel?
A: About 10 years

I think I'd have made the barrel 16 1/4" in case I ran into a BATFE agent with a rubber ruler.
Most smiths won't cut a rifle or shotgun barrel any shorter than 16 1/4"

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pricedo, I didn't cut the barrel, that was done by the previous owner. If you measure it with a dowel from the inside, it measures 16"+ a bit (I think 16 1/4"), outside from end of the barrel to where the barrel meets the receiver?...well..15 3/4", I have a dowel I'll cut to 17" and keep it in my Jeep when I take this rifle into the field...just in case.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice! Looks like a fun bacon-getter to me!

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
pricedo, I didn't cut the barrel, that was done by the previous owner. If you measure it with a dowel from the inside, it measures 16"+ a bit (I think 16 1/4"), outside from end of the barrel to where the barrel meets the receiver?...well..15 3/4", I have a dowel I'll cut to 17" and keep it in my Jeep when I take this rifle into the field...just in case.
If you're making or buying "chopped" rifles & shotguns it is incumbent on you the owner to make sure the barrels are of legal minimum length or longer regardless of who did the actual chopping.
Hate to see a good guy get wrapped up in a bunch of expensive legal problems because he wasn't aware of the law.

Looks like a fast pointing hogginator to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts