Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate enough to inherit 2 Marlin lever action .30-30's over the years. I LOVE My 1967 Marlin 336 Texan in .30-30. The thing is a tack driver and sentimental to me. I also love my 1983 Marlin 30AS Glenfield in .30-30. However, I just don't shoot the Glenfield often because I have the other .30-30 that shoots much better. The Glenfield was my Grandpas and my dad says to sell it because it just doesn't shoot as well as my Texan. I do not want to sell it so my solution is to re-chamber the Glenfield in a .25-35 Caliber. I think I (and kids) will get more use out of a 25 cal. and shoot it more often. Besides, I've been looking for something in that caliber already... don't tell my wife.

I hope that a quality gunsmith can turn the barrel into a .25-35 and a better shooting rifle. Also, I really hope to keep the same barrel but with a liner put in unless a barrel blank would make more sense. My question for the forum is, which gunsmith(s) do you swear by for this type of work? I have my heart set on a .25 -35 and have some good suggestions from previous threads but curious in a good list so I can research and see which gunsmith would be best for me.

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
15,751 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... Good luck in your search, but I'd be looking for a Marlin 336 to modify and keeping the Glenny as is... They are fewer and further between, so to speak. You might even consider getting your post count over 25 and doing a trade for a donor 336 with a member here... Lot's of people would love to have your Glenfield...

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I check with Ranger Point Precision( a MO sponsor ). I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews about their work. There are a few others that I would consider, but I prefer to keep it in the family. I am sure others will chime in. And welcome to MO's from Central NY.

·
Super Moderator
15,751 Posts
Just a thought... Your 30AS has an end cap style forearm, yes? They are considered tack drivers. Have you checked the barrel for copper fouling? That can sometimes effect accuracy... Or a dinged up barrel crown?

·
Super Moderator
23,813 Posts
When I was first decided to build my 7-30, I had the same idea...
I called numerous places and found one company that did liners, but was
told they only did it with smaller calibers like 25-20, 32-20 ect.
They did not reccomend a liner for anything bigger, as they
would not last and would burn out at the throat.
Someone else may chime in here and say otherwise, but this is what
I was told.
You would be better off to go with a re-barrel.
There are very few places that will thread/chamber a 336 Marlin barrel.
The name of the gunsmith that did mine is:

Norman E. Johnson
High Plains Reboring and Barrel LLC.
Turtle Lake ND
701-448-9188

As has been mentioned, Ranger point is another consideration...
I do not know if he has the equipment to contour/thread a barrel
or not...you can send him a PM here from the forum.
They are out of Houston, Texas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I don't think I could part with either gun since they are guns passed down within the family. Also, solely based on what each gun means to me I'd like to keep the '67 Texan "as is" and only modify the '83 Glenfield to a .25-35.

Also, the Glenfield does have an end cap style forearm. It doesn't necessarily shoot poor but just not as good as my other 30-30. Those are good suggestions and something I could look into. It's just not a gun that has ever been shot much. I'd say since 1983 id be surprised if its been shot more than 100 times. The performance isn't the main reason for wanting to convert it though. I just think I'd shoot it more often and I'd get more use out of a .25 cal. Also, I kinda like having the variety of different calibers. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Navajo... I like that idea. I really thought it would cost me more than that to modify this 30-30 to a 25-35. $230 sounds reasonable for a brand new customized barrel.I also get to keep my 30-30 barrel. Sounds like a winner.

Also, I'm not opposed to a 25-36 Marlin round. I just though the 25-35 would be more easy to find brass since I re-load my own. Someone did tell me that you can fire & cycle a 25-36 down a 25-35 barrel. Not sure how much I trust that or that it would cycle properly.

Also, I read that a Model 93 barrel chambered in a 25-36 Marlin is interchangeable with the model 336. Any truth to that? Am I better off having a gunsmith make a 25-35 barrel that fits the 336 from a blank?

I appreciate the suggestions on gunsmiths!

·
Super Moderator
23,813 Posts
Navajo... I like that idea. I really thought it would cost me more than that to modify this 30-30 to a 25-35. $230 sounds reasonable for a brand new customized barrel.I also get to keep my 30-30 barrel. Sounds like a winner.

Also, I'm not opposed to a 25-36 Marlin round. I just though the 25-35 would be more easy to find brass since I re-load my own. Someone did tell me that you can fire & cycle a 25-36 down a 25-35 barrel. Not sure how much I trust that or that it would cycle properly.

Also, I read that a Model 93 barrel chambered in a 25-36 Marlin is interchangeable with the model 336. Any truth to that? Am I better off having a gunsmith make a 25-35 barrel that fits the 336 from a blank?

I appreciate the suggestions on gunsmiths!

Whomever makes it, they will likely start with a blank in 25 Cal and
contour it to 336 Marlin specs, then thread and chamber it.
Then the ramp and extractor slot will be cut.

This will take a long time to do...
Mine took several months.

I am not sure about the model 93 Barrel...Or if 25/36 is interchangeable.

But I agree about the 25-35Win being a good choice...And I am a big
fan of 30-30 Based calibers.
There are quite a few 25Cal bullet choices for you if you are a handloader...
I would like to have a 25-35 Someday.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
My 30AS used to shoot so-so until I relieved the fore-end tension and reduced the trigger pull. Before that, it positively HATED 170gn. bullets but now it loves them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
most barrels I have had done for #1's were about $400 by the time they were contured ,blued and fitted to the action. Bullets are very limited with some light 25-20 6o grain and some 117 grain round nose, Lots of 25 cal but mostly pointd\ed

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have used 200gr Hornady Spire points in my 35 Rem without an issue. Once I have loaded the bullets and crimped them in place I drop them nose first thru a vertical 5' length of 1/2" plastic pipe / conduit onto a smooth concrete floor and it makes them into a flat point. No problems using them in the tube magazine.
Phil

·
Super Moderator
23,813 Posts
most barrels I have had done for #1's were about $400 by the time they were contured ,blued and fitted to the action. Bullets are very limited with some light 25-20 6o grain and some 117 grain round nose, Lots of 25 cal but mostly pointd\ed

Speer makes a 75gr Hot Cor
Hornady makes a 117 RN Interlock
Remington makes an 86gr FN
And several companies offer cast.
Couple of these are for 25/20 but they'll
work fine.

Also,
Speer makes a JHP that will work fine.
I use the 7mm version in my 7/30.

Sellier and Bellot and Winchester offer factory ammo.

1,872 Posts
When I was first decided to build my 7-30, I had the same idea...
I called numerous places and found one company that did liners, but was
told they only did it with smaller calibers like 25-20, 32-20 ect.
They did not reccomend a liner for anything bigger, as they
would not last and would burn out at the throat.
Someone else may chime in here and say otherwise, but this is what
I was told.
You would be better off to go with a re-barrel.
There are very few places that will thread/chamber a 336 Marlin barrel.
The name of the gunsmith that did mine is:

Norman E. Johnson
High Plains Reboring and Barrel LLC.
Turtle Lake ND
701-448-9188

As has been mentioned, Ranger point is another consideration...
I do not know if he has the equipment to contour/thread a barrel
or not...you can send him a PM here from the forum.
They are out of Houston, Texas.
Thanks Navajo. We can definitely ream, contour, thread, shorten, port or do anything else needed to a barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Don't confuse the 25-36 Marlin with the 25-35 Winchester. Whiel I doubt much if it would matter in a 336 action the 25-36 was one of the few Marlin's I know of that did not interchange with the Winchester. The Marlin was loaded to only about 1800 fps and lower pressure. They do not recommend using 25-35 WW in an old Marlin. Likely you would have better luck gettting that caliber for a rebarrel. Only mentioning this because there seems to be some confusion between the two cartridges in this discussion. A 25-35 would be a fun cartridge to play with but I would look into the costs of reloading dies. Cases can be formed out of 30-30's maybe.

DEP

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
I think re-barrel is a great idea. You will have your granddad's gun with more versatility.

None of my business but, if it were me, I'd go with 7-30 Waters.

Heck, this has got me thinking maybe I ought to take one of my 336s in 30-30 to Ranger Point and have it re-barreled to 7-30 Waters. :smokin:

T.S.

1,872 Posts
Some months back we built a 25-35 for a fellow Texan. We fitted up a Marlin factory profiled Douglas barrel blank, as we do with our other re-barrels and conversions. Factory loaded ammo is pretty tough to find--in fact we had to ask our customer to send us a box so we could test his rifle. He called us last month to say he'd had some time to shoot the rifle and was very pleased with the accuracy and performance of the round. He plans to hunt deer with it this year.

Navajo just made us a heck of a deal on his once-used 7-30 Waters AI reamer, and I am very excited to try out that cartridge as well. I plan to get a couple 7mm barrels with our next order from Douglas this week. I could see that becoming my new favorite 336 chambering.

I'm also desperate to do a .264 chambering in the 336, because I love the 6.5 ballistics. Not sure the .264s have caught on in the U.S. quite as well as 7s though, so I don't know if we'd sell any, especially since it would likely have to be a wildcat. I'm also intrigued by the .219 Zipper Improved or Wasp. We've been doing a lot of conversions on the 1894, which I love, but I'm eager to give the 336 my attention again.

AD

·
Super Moderator
26,398 Posts
Some months back we built a 25-35 for a fellow Texan. We fitted up a Marlin factory profiled Douglas barrel blank, as we do with our other re-barrels and conversions. Factory loaded ammo is pretty tough to find--in fact we had to ask our customer to send us a box so we could test his rifle. He called us last month to say he'd had some time to shoot the rifle and was very pleased with the accuracy and performance of the round. He plans to hunt deer with it this year.

Navajo just made us a heck of a deal on his once-used 7-30 Waters AI reamer, and I am very excited to try out that cartridge as well. I plan to get a couple 7mm barrels with our next order from Douglas this week. I could see that becoming my new favorite 336 chambering.

I'm also desperate to do a .264 chambering in the 336, because I love the 6.5 ballistics. Not sure the .264s have caught on in the U.S. quite as well as 7s though, so I don't know if we'd sell any, especially since it would likely have to be a wildcat. I'm also intrigued by the .219 Zipper Improved or Wasp. We've been doing a lot of conversions on the 1894, which I love, but I'm eager to give the 336 my attention again.

AD
Adam, I'd be most interested in a 336 6.5 caliber wildcat. It could prove to be a worthy flat distance shooter especially if you AX it to afford longer ogive bullets. Keep me in the loop as I'd be inclined to work with you in developing bullets for it.

Regarding the 7-30 Waters, it's already on our R&D list.

Jack

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The 7-30 Waters is my next 336 project. RPP, are there any lever-friendly bullets available in .264 ? If so, that sounds intriguing. Reloading dies are available in 25 35 and no more expensive than any other caliber.

Reactions: navajo and dpe.ahoy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts