Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been testing with my new bullet for the Marlin 1894s chambered in 45 Colt. As with most of my designs, especially the pistol cartridges offered in the 1894, I want a bullet that will take advantage of the Marlin's strength while boosting the animec performance of the cartridge under consideration.

This week a hog was needed for the freezer so on the 10th of February I headed out into my Boldt pasture with my 1894S and the TLC454-290-RF. We have have had a little over a week with temperatures in the 20s, very unusual for my part of Texas, so the wind quickly forced me into a deer blind. About 45 minutes before dark, the wind suddenly went calm and I left the blind in search for a hog. I had move only 25-yards when I heard something digging in the dried grass. At first, I thought it might be an armadillo but have learned to let things play out. The digging continued for about 5 minutes and then I heard a squeal that could only be hogs. I realized that despite only be a few yards from this sounder of hogs, I would never see them because of the brush and their movement into the wind. I slowly moved away from them and then moved up several ranch two-tracks that would place me on an intercept. Within minutes, I could hear them approaching. A sow stepped out in the road but she was further than I wanted to shoot. I quickly moved up the road as the more hogs that would move into the road the better the chances of this setup being spoiled. I knelt, she turned sideways, and I shot.

At the shot she disappeared. I soon saw four sets of hooves sticking up above the vegetation that had grown in the two-track. She was dead at the shot. The TLC454-290-RF had accomplished exactly what I had designed it to do; deliver an accurate, devastating blow to a big game animal’s vitals. The shot had entered the rib cage behind the shoulder and exited completely through the opposite shoulder.

I’m shooting 23.0-grains of H110 for 1510 FPS at 29.0K PSI. My alloy is a Lyman #2 clone with .5% of bird shot added and water quenched for a BHN of 21. As soon as I get a break in the outside temperature, pressure testing will start. The TLC454-290-RF is a gas checked, tumble lubed, round-flat nose bullet with a large meplat. It is designed specifically for the Marlin and cycles beautifully through the action despite the massive bullet nose. The Micro-Band lube grooves work well in traditional lube-sizers.

This mold will be available in another week, you can read the details of the design and sign up for a email notification when it arrives here:
RD's TLC454-290-RF

·
Registered
9 Posts
What other powders have you tried? I got a bunch of cases sitting on the bench right now to try with this bullet, thought about trying some lil'gun and 2400 to start with. Have you ever tried Reloader 7? I tried some RL-7 with some 340gr bullets in my Marlin and it seemed to work well.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Ranch Dog did you discontinue the TL-454-290-RF? I was using 22 gr of H110 and getting 1656 fps last summer out of my 1894 LTD with the 24” barrel. I tried the same load this winter and was getting 1566 fps in the colder weather.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Very cool Ranch Dog!

I missed out on the buy for your non-checked .45/290 and am looking forward to this!

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nightfisher said:
Ranch Dog did you discontinue the TL-454-290-RF? I was using 22 gr of H110 and getting 1656 fps last summer out of my 1894 LTD with the 24” barrel. I tried the same load this winter and was getting 1566 fps in the colder weather.
Yes, I did. I could not get the bullet to survive pressures above 29.0K PSI. The max load of H110 is going to be around 24.5 running at about 40.0K PSI. I'm all about max hunting loads and I must offer something that isn't available elsewhere. Plain base bullets molds for the 45 Colt are quie common and I cannot compete with common.

That said, I will soon be able to "plain base" any of my mold designs. I will offer that option at purchase for a small fee. I will also be able to split the base/shank style, 3 gas check shanks and 3 plain base. Being able to do this work in house will eliminate my need to inventory both versions of a design and that means something else can be added to my shelf.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jerryw said:
What other powders have you tried? I got a bunch of cases sitting on the bench right now to try with this bullet, thought about trying some lil'gun and 2400 to start with. Have you ever tried Reloader 7? I tried some RL-7 with some 340gr bullets in my Marlin and it seemed to work well.
I've worked with Lil' Gun and have had very inconsistent resullts with it but this plain base version of this design. That powder seems to work best under pressure but the plain base bullet could not survive the chamber pressures. I'm talking about generating 45-70 factory ammo performance from your 45 Colt!

I only work with Hodgdon powders, I have all the applicable offerings in that lineup. Nothing against other brands but at any time I have about $2500 worth of powder on the shelf and feel that's enough. I've installed a strain gage on my barrel and I'm very anxious to return to Lil' Gun as I think it has the most to offer.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Ranch Dog, what is the reason you are going with a harder 21 BHN alloy? Reason I ask is I've had pretty good luck with 12-14 BHN in the 45 colt with no leading and good accuracy. Even with a heavy 314 grain gas checked cast with 22 grains of H110 they shoot well. Am I in for a surprise one of these days with the softer alloy? Also I noticed on your site you recommend a CCI-300 primer for the 45 Colt where I have been using the CCI-350. Do you find that a regular non magnum primer works alright with H110? Thanks...........

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gohon said:
Ranch Dog, what is the reason you are going with a harder 21 BHN alloy? Reason I ask is I've had pretty good luck with 12-14 BHN in the 45 colt with no leading and good accuracy. Even with a heavy 314 grain gas checked cast with 22 grains of H110 they shoot well. Am I in for a surprise one of these days with the softer alloy? Also I noticed on your site you recommend a CCI-300 primer for the 45 Colt where I have been using the CCI-350. Do you find that a regular non magnum primer works alright with H110? Thanks...........
I use the 21 BHN for all my leverguns, makes it easy. It also handles the 40K+ PSI, which I run all my rifles at. I have always used the CCI 300 with all my 1894 cartridges. I've experienced outstanding accuracy and performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts