Marlin Firearms Forum banner

RD's Model '93 30-30

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Sure-Shot 
#1 ·
Finally took some pictures of my '93. It's identified as a "Model 1893" which should put it prior to 1915. It has the octegon, takedown 26" barrel. The top of the receiver is stamped "Marlin Safety". Serial number is 24XXXX and is located just aft of the forearm stock on the bottom of the receiver. Bore is very clean.

Like I said in another post, I traded a 42" root plow for the rifle. Plow cost me $750 and I hadn't used it in a while. How did I do?

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like a great old gun RD! It appears it had a old side mount scope at one time. I see the two holes in the left side of the receiver.
It also looks like it has a nickeled buttplte, and possibly a nickeled receiver, or is it just the lighting? Those would be pretty interesting options if it is nickeled!
Congratulations on a great trade!

#5 ·
beautiful gun but if my memory serves me[I'll look it up later] I believe that "Model 1893" designation dates it before 1905, not 1915 at any rate it is older than you thought because I know the change was much earlier than 1915 .I have a 1893 saddle ring carbine MFG. 1900 120xxx.Shootrj20-03.

#6 ·
Designation "Model 1893" was changed in 1905,to" Mod.93"and ser.No.240,000 was produced in 1902 so your rifle was produced sometime after that in 1902 because they also went up to and beyond ser.No. 250,000 in 1902.It's a sweet old rifle how does she shoot?Mine is in30 -30 and is real accurate. When I get my father's day gift I'll post a good spread of pics.shootrj2003

#8 ·
Thanks the info guys... a couple of notes.

I haven't shot it yet and that will have to wait until next week because of work. The nickel finish is how the rifle came from Marlin as I was told. It is also the exact finish of the example in my copy of Gun Traders Guide. The picture is black and white but it sure looks like a nickel receiver and butt pad. The GTG also mentioned the brass blade front sight and it looks like it has an ivory bead.

I disassembled the rifle for cleaning and found the ejector spring broken. The spring portion was broken with both pieces present. Any idea where I could obtain a replacement? Other than that, the rifle appears in great shape for a century of use in the field.

Interesting comment about the side mount. I wonder who offered the mount?

#9 ·
shooterj2003,
The model designation '93 was changed in the catalogs at the date you mentioned, but the guns continued to be marked 1893 until after WWI. This is another one of those oddities referenced in Brophy's book, that really needed more explanation.
I've even seen 1893's made after WWI that had bullseyes in the stock, and "Corporation" rollstamps, but were marked 1893 on the top tang. These receivers were made up in mass quantities, so they didn't just throw them out when a designation was changed in the catalogs.
The 240xxx serial number should put it around 1902, but only a letter will affirm the date.

#12 ·
Marlinman,That makes sense it shorely does-Nowadays they would probably trash them but they were more practical back then and I do remember reading somewhere that some were made up later on older recievers that were left over.Thanks for the info as always your a well of information .Wisner's sells a real good ejector,drops right in Shootrj2003

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.