Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it is not against the board rules to offer things for sale. If so - sorry...

I have a 4 weeks old RCBS.Load software here that I want to sell. I was looking more for a program that calculates expected pressures and found the software not too helpful for me (even though it comes with tons of interesting loads and nice graphical feature...)

The list price is around $110, Amazon offers it around $85 and I would like to get $75 for it. It is the original software in like new condition and original package.

If you are interested, please send me a personal message.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Tom...

I think about the only way you are going to find the pressure data is by creating it yourself. I recently purchased the RSI Shooter's Lab pressure trace equipment. I've purchased this equipment but unfortunately haven't started using it just yet because of hunting season, my move, and sholder surgery.

My new range is just about ready... got tired of going to the gun club to shoot, and the Doc should give me the go ahead to start popping in two weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ranchdog, two more weeks does not sound too bad (at least here in the Cincy area the weather is still so bad that it is not too much fun at the range anyhow...). Got your own range? Sounds great! Unfortunately on my 2/3 of an acre the airgun is the only thing I can shoot...

There is a software out that claims that it "estimates" pressures within 5% for many common powders, calibers and bullet types. I am probably going to check that one out.

For recoil calculation, kinetic energy, Taylor index, sectional density, ballistic coefficient and recommended rifling twist I created a "simple" Excel sheet that does all the calculations. The only thing I want to add is the trajectory calculation... It does not have all the nicer (mostly graphical) features of the RCBS.Load software but it is actually all I need...

The RSI solution really looks great but a looking at the price a little bit too much on the high end for me... Would be great if you could let me know how it works!

In case you want to play around with the Excel sheet:

http://216.68.219.78/shcalc.xls

Tom

·
Registered
315 Posts
Big Tom & Ranch Dog,
I've been using RCBS.Load for several years now, and find it extremely useful. Both as a reference source, and record keeper. Without it, I'd be lost these days.
I've been eyeing off the RSI pressure test package as the next step for my forays into internal ballistics. As I tune myself and become ever more sensitive to the subtleties of pressure signs with my particular firearms and loading techniques, I've been gradually upping the ante. So many individual variables however that I'm not sure if anyone can come up with 'absolute' values.
Be very interested in how the pressure test equipment works, and some user feedback. Please keep us posted RD.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rrussel11,
Great to hear that RCBS.Load was so for you! I agree that there are some really nice features (like the graphical display of different loads, bullets, powders etc.). For me it was more important to get a program that estimates pressures based on powder type, bullet, OAL etc. - which are data that I do not get out of that software. For recoil, KE, Taylor index and trajectory, I am using my Excel sheet, for the load data, I go to the powder and bullet manufacturer's home page and normally find all I need (not as easy to compare and not as fast as through the program though...)

The RSI package looks pretty interesting - maybe I'm not going to buy a software that estimates pressures but spend some more money and collect the actual data on my guns - would be more secure and also more fun to play around with....

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I'll keep you guys posted. I'm building a rifle range to "fit" around my equipment. We've had about 10" rain in the last three days and I figure each inch of rain drops me about 2 days further behind. The delay has given me the time to study the hardware and software package... I'm very impressed. I'm busy transferring all my reloading records into the ShootersLab software.

First cartridge I want to work with is the 35 Remington. Lot's of room for powder, pressure, and performance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tom,
Is that the latest version (#3) ? It should say on the package someplace. Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ranch Dog,

Thanks for sharing the link for the Pressure Trace instrument... I'll be buying one of those in the next few months now that I've seen it. That is one invaluable piece of equipment to the serious reloader!

Would you please share with us your experiences and opinions of this instrument once you get it set up and start using it? For $249 I'm all over it for sure! (If anyone knows of it being available for less than that let us know too?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arizona,
They expect to have some back in stock in a few weeks... I tried to order one two days ago :D

Tom

·
Registered
315 Posts
The RSI package looks pretty interesting - maybe I'm not going to buy a software that estimates pressures but spend some more money and collect the actual data on my guns - would be more secure and also more fun to play around with....

Tom[/quote]

Tom,
Looks like ur goin' for the test equipment too, makes sense IMO. I think any software is just that, soft, and as I build my own data bank of chrono readings, it's becoming clear that YMWV, (your mileage WILL vary) from published data and loading manuals.
The best software is the one you're familiar with, and can use the easiest. As I've said, I've found the RCBS.Load invaluable, and can't speak to highly of it. I've been shooting a lot of 'old-timey' calibers like the 25-20 with Alliant powders such as the new 410, for which there is NO data available. It's also working well in the 44Mag, lol, but I'd sure be innerested in calibrating some of the Alliant pressure data against what I'm playing with.
Shoot safe gents!
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Big Tom..... I was wondering if you still had the RCBS.LOAD software for sale??? I am interested in Buying if you do.

thanks .... Airbuster.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Airbuster, that was a 10 year old thread:hmmmm:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts