Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed RCBS and asked if they had a die forming set to forming 308 win. to 35 Rem. Answer was yes 30-06 to 35 Rem. forming die set but not catalog it is a special order. I replied about the price and now waiting an answer.

Does anyone own a set of forming dies of any caliber/case and if so does it work for you?
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Different rim size isn't it. Could they have said or meant to say .35 Whelen. You would also have to cut the length back for the Rem.

Reactions: 308/338

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
We had a discussion about this very thing the other day in a different part of the forum. It can be done, and the sizing die is really shrinks up the case, and apparently, the case heads are close enough to work in a Marlin.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Different rim size isn't it. Could they have said or meant to say .35 Whelen. You would also have to cut the length back for the Rem.
Yes different rim size but a bolt face for a 35 rem. will accept a 308 win. & 30-06 rem. Yes RCBS & me are on the same page it is 30-06 cases to form 35 Rem. case.
T:biggrin: NY
PS. I would display my email but if I do my email address would be exposed.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We had a discussion about this very thing the other day in a different part of the forum. It can be done, and the sizing die is really shrinks up the case, and apparently, the case heads are close enough to work in a Marlin.
L Pete But I no longer subscribed to this thread and can find it.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I form 300 Savage out of 308 with just my regular 300 Savage die set, Swany said that you can do the same to make 35 Rem.... If I had another 308 or 30.06 case I would give it a try with just the 35 Rem dies I have.

Doc

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Ok, I found a 308 case and tried making a 35 Rem case out of it... I took pics of the entire process because I thought it was going to work out, I even loaded a 35-200 boolit to make a dummy round... It didnt work, the 308 case is just too big... at the bottom of the case a 35 Rem is .453 where the 308 case is .464 and the case head is .468, too large to chamber all the way in my 1950 336A 35 Rem.

Process too about 4 minutes and most of the time was taken up my taking pictures.

Doc

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Yes, however the die set is no longer cataloged and dies must be ordered separately.

Thank you,

ATK/RCBS Custom Die Dept.
605 Oro Dam Blvd.
Oroville, CA 95965

basic case 30-06 Rem.used in this instruction

Sorry I couldn't copy then paste PDF sent by RCBS. without displaying my email address.
RCBS case forming instructions.
step# lube Cases, Base Form in step #1 Then in step#2
Step#2 for Form cases in form die. Trim to length, Chamfer case mouth.
Step#3 Neck Ream cases.
Step#4 Clean cases, Relube F. L. size, Check cases.
Prceed with loading.

Reloading Dies.
1-F.L. set 35 Rem.

Case forming dies.
1- Base form die (No threads to be used in A Arbor press. Two steps .463= .455
2- 35 rem. die
3- 35 Rem. neck ream die.
4- 35 Cal. reamer

+

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I check with Harbor Freight Tools for a arbor press they have a 1/2 ton $36.99 and a 1 ton $49.99 still waiting on the forming dies price from RCBS.
T:biggrin: NY

·
Banned
2,803 Posts

Whew !
That's a lot like work.
I think I'd buy a few boxes of Hornady Leverevolution or green box 35 Rem ammo before I bothered with all that.
Still a fair amount of it around.
Just bought 3 boxes last week.
The Hornady factory ammo is good & accurate ammo in & or itself.
I like my reloads to be correctly head stamped.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You might find it worth while to obtain a .457 push through die for sizing cast bullets; lube your .308 case head with a coat of lanolin and push it through then run them through the forming die. Some makes of .44 Special/Magnum sizing dies may have enough clearance to use as a push through die once the de-capping stem is removed. I am using .457 as the target dimension as that is what Barnes shows in Cartridges of the Worls. If you do need a .453 base, the obtain that size or slightly smaller push through die. They only cost $25 or so.

Good Luck,
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts

Whew !
That's a lot like work.
I think I'd buy a few boxes of Hornady Leverevolution or green box 35 Rem ammo before I bothered with all that.
Still a fair amount of it around.
Just bought 3 boxes last week.
The Hornady factory ammo is good & accurate ammo in & or itself.
I like my reloads to be correctly head stamped.
I agree with everything above. I've done a fair amount of case forming with and without forming dies, and concentricity suffered dramatically when not done in steps. Even in steps concentricity was unacceptable with certain cartridges. I cannot see any reason to form 35 Rem cases from 30-06 or any other case. Lots of time involved running through a forming die, a tapered expander ball should be used, and they should be annealed. After all that work I doubt they will pass the concentricity gauge. Just seems simpler to buy factory ammo and reload the fired brass. I've seen Federal, Remington, and Hornady in several stores lately but I already have a large stash of WW virgin brass and several boxes of Federal on hand.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
If memory serves me correctly whenever RCBS talks about custom dies the prices aproach 150.00 dollars or more. Seems I called them a long time ago and got there quote but I can't remember what caliber it was. They can make just about anything you can dream up but they are high on their custom stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have the 35 rem. F.L. die set I just need an arbor $40. and what is listed below, it doesn't seem like a lot of work on a snow/rain day/weekend off. I have collected hundreds of 30-06 brass that shooters at the range are happy to give. Second I don't see it being more time consuming than molding bullets or costly too. Well I'll sit and wait to see what the case forming die will cost.

Case forming dies.
1- Base form die (No threads to be used in A Arbor press. Two steps .463= .455
2- 35 rem. die
3- 35 Rem. neck ream die.
4- 35 Cal. reamer

T
:hmmmm: NY

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
As long as you're having fun that's the main thing.
It'll be interesting following along to see how it goes.
I love work:ahhhhh:.........I can watch it all day long. :biggrin:
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If memory serves me correctly whenever RCBS talks about custom dies the prices aproach 150.00 dollars or more. Seems I called them a long time ago and got there quote but I can't remember what caliber it was. They can make just about anything you can dream up but they are high on their custom stuff.
ouch......

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Im with you Tony... There is a set of forming dies to make 6.5X57 out of a 30.06 case but they are so dang expensive way over 200.00 so I try to pick up any 6.5X57 cases or rounds I see at the gun shows instead. I really want the forming dies because I love doing things different and there are a lot of 30.06 cases laying around at the range (I really need to start picking up brass...) that I could use.

Doc

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Im with you Tony... There is a set of forming dies to make 6.5X57 out of a 30.06 case but they are so dang expensive way over 200.00 so I try to pick up any 6.5X57 cases or rounds I see at the gun shows instead. I really want the forming dies because I love doing things different and there are a lot of 30.06 cases laying around at the range (I really need to start picking up brass...) that I could use.

Doc
Many military personnal brought back 8 mm x 57 Mauser rifle after WW 1 or 2 and many of them were rechamber to 8 mm-06. Do you have the same option (6.5 mm-06) if need be?

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright folks this really bust my bubble. My responds from RCBS on case forming dies.

T:vollkommenauf: NY

Your reloading dies are used after reforming the cases with the case forming dies below.

The case form dies required:

35 Remington base form die $170.95 (requires an arbor press)
35 Remington form die $96.95
35 Remington trim die $96.95 (acts as final form die)
35 Remington ream die $96.95
35 caliber reamer $80.95

Plus shipping and tax where applicable. Delivery time is estimated at 12+ weeks from order date.

Total $542.75:flute: would be cheaper to a 1000 pieces of 35 Remington cases. It would be easier to sell the un-fired one when no longer needed than the case forming die set. :hmmmm:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Alright folks this really bust my bubble. My responds from RCBS on case forming dies.

T:vollkommenauf: NY

Your reloading dies are used after reforming the cases with the case forming dies below.

The case form dies required:

35 Remington base form die $170.95 (requires an arbor press)
35 Remington form die $96.95
35 Remington trim die $96.95 (acts as final form die)
35 Remington ream die $96.95
35 caliber reamer $80.95

Plus shipping and tax where applicable. Delivery time is estimated at 12+ weeks from order date.

Total $542.75:flute: would be cheaper to a 1000 pieces of 35 Remington cases. It would be easier to sell the un-fired one when no longer needed than the case forming die set. :hmmmm:
That's scary, ain't it?......:ahhhhh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.