Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So saturday, my RCBS chargemaster combo did not necessarily kick the bucket, but has ceased to function correctly. After trying everything in the book, I can still not get it to calibrate correctly, and calibrates 2-3 grains under what it should calibrate. After reading the reviews on midway and seeing the nightmare some people went through, I still chose to go ahead and get one over a year ago. So today I call RCBS customer service, get on the phone with a lady (2nd reloading company I've had to call, 2nd time the person has had a very poor attitude with me) and she tells me that it's out of warranty, and that I need to send them a 45 dollar check, and they will repair or replace it and send it back to me. While reading her the serial number, I noticed some silver stickers but never bothered to read them, so before I put it back up I decided to look at them. I see "MADE IN CHINA"... at this point, I then realize why it's broken, and take into account I've been trusting over 10,000 dollars worth of firearms and my life on junk made in china. At this point I don't know whether or not I want this one repaired/replaced or just go back to balance beam and trickle....

Has anyone else had to make this decision with their chargemaster combo? How many here are on their 2nd or 3rd one? I just don't know what to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
No comment on the Chargemaster since I don't own one, but I noted the furor that erupted when it was reported in Handloader magazine that the Rock Chucker press was made from castings imported from China.

This caused a bit of a backlash, to the point where some reported that RCBS was changing its supplier for the raw castings to a domestic source. I don't know for sure where the RCBS castings for the Rock Chucker are coming from now.

Sorry to hear the import problem has intruded so far into RCBS agenda.

Usually you pay extra for their product to get extra good customer service and backing. One of the very first times I've ever heard of RCBS not bending over backward to help the customer that has a problem.

Maybe imports are an evil trend here.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
When in doubt....beams and tricklers never lie. (provided the beam scale is kept free of dust)

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ridgerunner665 said:
When in doubt....beams and tricklers never lie. (provided the beam scale is kept free of dust)
Definitely. My RCBS 5-0-5 has a little trouble staying calibrated (shaky bench), but I'm going to clean it out, check weight it, and start using it again while the chargemaster is being repaired. I'm going to weld up a stand thursday to put my scale on and just do my powder charging on the kitchen counter since it's stable.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Was not aware of that! Been buying Lee and Lyman for the bulk of my stuff, as RCBS (Real Chinese BS?) is a bit rich for my wallet.

I DID notice, however, that when I saw what a great deal their feature-packed chronograph seemed to be, I would get one. Until I picked it up and saw it too was made in China.

There are things I've bought sight unseen, that turned out to be made in China or someplace else besides the USA. It is out of hand.

Jon

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have one sitting on the bench and it is the best reloading tool I have ever purchased bar none. I am trying to put myself in your shoes here, as that is important, and it very well could happen to me in the future I guess. So, with that being said, I think I would pony up the $45 and have them fix or replace it, if it were me and count my blessings. Because, like I said it is just a fantastic tool and a beam scale has nothing going on it besides a temporary backup. Kind of like an oil lamp to make due when the power is out.

I just replaced an underengineered part for my pickup with an aftermarket part. It now runs the way it should have from the factory. I could go ahead and get a team of clydesdales and feed them grass and get a buckboard wagon to make runs to the lumber yard, but that will not work for me. I just replaced it, and since I have owned all of what Detroit has offered, I realize that it is a six in one hand, half dozen in the other proposition at best.

Get it fixed and move on...or not. RCBS is still a great American company in my mind. Will be buying from them again I am sure.

Cheer up, it could be a lot worse.

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to get it repaired, but if it craps out again I will not be getting another. I don't have time for made in china junk.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
186 Tmanbuckhunter said:
I'm going to get it repaired, but if it craps out again I will not be getting another. I don't have time for made in china junk.
I understand where you are coming from Tman ... I feel the same way. I have been RCBS from day one since I got into reloading. No problems yet even though I have dealt with their CS two times and was not disappointed. This doesn't mean it will not happen to me also in the future.

When I first heard about the RCBS press castings coming from China per 35remington's post, I started sending them emails asking for a definate answer. I sent a lot of them and never got a clear answer. I was furious that they would do that to their faithful followers. I can only hope they have now gone back to a domestic source.

I have never used anything but my RCBS balance beam and probably never will. Sorry to hear of your problems.

bjm

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya bjm.

I have a lot of RCBS equipment, my press is a rockchucker, and I love the dies and press, but if I had known that the press was made in china, my money would have gone to redding. It's ok though... the press operates fine although a little sloppy now, even though the priming system leaves a little less than to be desired, it all works.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'll have to side with the BigJeepMan on this one. I've been loading with RCBS equipment forabout 36 years now and they have always been more than fair with me. The latest instance was with my 35 Rem. dies expander plug. Bought these used and found them to be producing flats on the necks coming out of the sizer die. Ran the problem down to the expander button which appeared to have been grabbed with a pair of pliers at some time by the previous owner which caused flats on the surface of the button..
I called RCBS customer service and told the rep. the whole story including that I'd bought these dies used. The next week I received a new stem and expander at no charge to me, not even for the postage. This is not the first time that they have come to my aid in this manner.
On my bench is a LoadMaster just like your's. Sometimes I've left it on for days forgetting to cut it off when I finished my project. In my estimation it has revolutionized my test loading as it's so easy to set-up to throw charges and change the setting quick and accurate. Usually I'll dump the powder into the cast, replace the pan on the table and press "Dispense". While the next charge is being measured I'm seating the bullet on the last, ready, case. This sequence makes for quick and accurate loading. Far-Far faster than the ballance beam scale.
Therre is no doubt that I'd spend the $45 to have it repaired and never think twice about it. That's my "two bit's worth".
Guzziac,
Richard P.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Travis,

No way I would ever let my RCbs CMcombo go as it is valuable to me. Try customer service again and send an e-mail or two. I should not have to remind you not to let your irritation show. Not even one little bit. Nada!!!

I get free stuff all the time by filling out those surveys on cash register receipts. Just got a $50 check from Olive Garden. I went on-line and after telling them what a wonderful restaurant experience we had at our local OG I offered a suggestion. Their staff here actually looks slovenly with wrinkled shirts and such. I offered my 'complaint' as a suggestion rather than a real complaint. It works all the time but not necessarily every time. Try it Travis.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I'm going to call CS again today and politely show my irritation and see if I could possibly get this thing repaired sans their $45 they want.

I agree. The RCBS chargemaster combo has been one of the most valuable tools on my bench speeding up my reloading time ten fold, and making the experience quicker, less frustrating, and more enjoyable. That's why it angers me that it's made in china and that I have to go through this whole ordeal to get another, because it slows me down A LOT. I have probably 500 rounds I need to load right now and I either go back to the balance beam or simply can't load them.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Well........ I just ordered one yesterday evening from Natchez Shooting Supply (on sale for $289.95). I'll let you know how it works when it gets here!

I've been loading with RCBS stuff since the 70's and so far no problems. I have partner presses, rockchuckers, etc; even an old 5-10 beam scale! For volume reloading I have a Dillon 550B w/ RCBS, Redding and Dillon dies and all seem to be working just fine, if I do my part.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a RCBS rock chucker, now I know why it is so heavy. Its probably made out of LEAD.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
dodgestdshift said:
I have a RCBS rock chucker, now I know why it is so heavy. Its probably made out of LEAD.
They haven't always been made in China ... but not sure how far back they started doing this. Does anyone know?

bjm

·
Registered
173 Posts
Two major questions have been raise here.

Comparing digital dumpsters and beam scales to a horse drawn wagon and truck and is a significant exeragration of the effects. How accurate any dropped charges may be depends on user's care, not the tools used. How much "faster" a digital anything may be against manual powder tools depends more on how well the manual tools are located and used than the display. The one or two year warrantees sorta suggest what the sellers think of their probable life span, does it not? (I suspect the $45 'repair/replacement' fee fully covers RCBS' investment in the things.)

All cast iron presses are 'heavy' but no one of them has any usable difference in the quality of ammo that can be made on them. Nor have I heard of anyone having problems with alum alloy Dillion or Hornady presses. Lee's "Classic Cast" single stage is cast iron and steel; it's bigger, heavier, stronger and has much better user features than my old Rock Chucker. ALL of Lee's presses, etc., are made in the USA AND they still cost a LOT less than anything green.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Fuzzball said:
Two major questions have been raise here.

Comparing digital dumpsters and beam scales to a horse drawn wagon and truck and is a significant exeragration of the effects. How accurate any dropped charges may be depends on user's care, not the tools used. How much "faster" a digital anything may be against manual powder tools depends more on how well the manual tools are located and used than the display. The one or two year warrantees sorta suggest what the sellers think of their probable life span, does it not? (I suspect the $45 'repair/replacement' fee fully covers RCBS' investment in the things.)

All cast iron presses are 'heavy' but no one of them has any usable difference in the quality of ammo that can be made on them. Nor have I heard of anyone having problems with alum alloy Dillion or Hornady presses. Lee's "Classic Cast" single stage is cast iron and steel; it's bigger, heavier, stronger and has much better user features than my old Rock Chucker. ALL of Lee's presses, etc., are made in the USA AND they still cost a LOT less than anything green.
I think there is a certain gene that most reloaders share, and if we had a powerful enough microscope we could look at our DNA and we would see a group of tiny men all with their head up their hinny, all holding hands with a fierce grip of determination forming a double helix. We want to make things more difficult by nature, we trust only what we have earned with blood, sweat, and tears, and stick religiously to a litany of incoherent, obtuse ideas and practices because, wellll, they work for us, and we ain't changin nohow!!

I see this in me, and have come to the realization that maybe, that part of me is working in opposition to the part of me that wants to be fat, dumb, and happy. The part of me that thinks I need to truly earn anything with my own blood.

I am here to tell you that if you are like me, true happiness actually awaits and it is not all that difficult to get there. Just ask yourself, "Self, what should I do now?" and when you get the answer...do exactly opposite ;).

Get the CM, it truly is a great tool, and can MOST DEFINATELY be compared to a horse and buggy vs. a Turbo diesel pickup.

Try it and I think you will agree. I don't care if the thing was purple or even pink, I would buy another one of them in a second if the one I had petered out. I'll keep the beam scale, but it is a distant second choice to be sure.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
If $45 every couple of years keeps me with a RCBS CMaster combo...I'd gladly pay it. BUT after several years now I have had no hiccups but my bench unlike what Travis posted is rock solid and I expect no problems.

Please excuse me while find some wood to knock on. ;D

Dave 8)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts