Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone casting the RCBS .35-200-FN these days in .359 dia? Evidently Montana Bullets is out of business and I can't find anyone on the net selling these. Help anybody?

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Closest I've found is Western Bullet at .358

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm not set up for that RCBS bullet but could be convinced on a very limited custom cast scale, gas check versions only.
Have you considered Ranch Dog design 175 grain? He put a lot of effort optimizing weight and balance and overall conformation , tailored for Marlins. And his design has a huge meplat which produces an impact slap factor that has to be heard to be fully appreciated.
What are your specifics regarding alloy and hardness? What is your intended use? You intended velocity?
I cast maybe four times a year, and a session is due before summer.
I am specifically not in the bullet business, but willing to help a fellow out.
I cast soft alloy of bhn around 9 or 10, then heat treat to a hardness greater than Linotype, bhn
normally in the mid 20s. My bulk smelting target is about 25% ww/Lino/Babbitt to 75% pb reclaimed from roofing jobs.
Bullets are weight segregated normally to +/- .5 % grain of finished weight, checked and lubed through oversized dies (in this case .360). The last OCD element is a final lube with the 45/45/10 JPW/LLA film.
This approach assures good bullet to bore fit and consistent weight, provides hardness for shooting like Lino, but alloy plasticity to have great impact performance like a softer alloy should.
I've been very pleased for years. We put close to 400 rounds through a Sharps 45/70 and a 30/30 at a boys function a few weeks ago. Equal accuracy with the first and last shots, and no leading when we cleaned up afterward....none.
Pm me, maybe I can help.

Reactions: TmbrWlkr

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You might tryCarolina cast bullets too.
I read elsewhere on this page that Gerry is recovering from a stroke and casting once again, appreciative of folks wanting to do business.
I've heard his product ranks well with others...

Reactions: BFPGW and TmbrWlkr

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Is anyone casting the RCBS .35-200-FN these days in .359 dia?
Take a look at Beartooth bullets, they are one of the best for quality, but like many these days, stretched by demand. I doubt they will ever go out of business as the reputation and number of fans is huge. I use the 210's and 250's in my .35 Remington and Whelens. The prices are reasonable, and well in line with the quality.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have cast about 3000 from the RCBS 200gr FN. I use a .359 sizer and it just touches the bullet a bit. Enough to make it round. I could sell some unsized if you want. PM me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all - thanks everybody, this forum is great and I appreciate all the help and responses. To try and answer everybody:

myflatline - I looked at Western bullet, but from everything I have read, I am much more likely to get good accuracy with .359+ than .358. I have not slugged my bore, yet, but have a slug kit on order which brings me to .........

Tman51 - I have 185 grains BTBs, and 180s and 200s and a slugging kit and lapping kit on order. The 185s took 6 months plus to get, so I am looking for alternatives before hunting season.

pls1911 - I am looking for a hunting bullet - wide meplat - that I can drive accurately "as fast as possible". For a 200 gr slug I want to achieve 2200 fps. For a 175/180/185 range bullet I am trying to achieve 2300fps with decent accuracy - for me and my hunting ranges that means sub 2 MOA. ( I can get the Hornady 200RN to shoot MOA in my gun now). Also of course I am looking for an alloy that won't lead, will hold accuracy, and will be ductile enough to resist those impact velocities without fracturing. Sounds like you are there. I hadn't really considered the 175 RD before - but looking it over it does seem to have a lot going for it: nice geometry with the driving portion matching well to the .35 rem neck without protrusion into the case, a good meplat, good balance, and a shape I assume will feed well in the Marlin.

I am new to the .35 rem - having come from my 45-70 GG for the last 10 years pushing various 300 grainers at 1800 - 2200fps. With 30+ deer to its credit it has proven absolutely devastating at woods ranges, but, developing in the range of 35 ft lbs of recoil. I believe that I can come close to those results with a medium bore wide meplat slug in the 2000 - 2300 fps range and do it at less than half the recoil force. I recently got a great 336 from Doc Fillem here on the forum, and am starting to work on my "perfect load". I know that the .35 Rem is a deer killer with just about any decent load that you send to the right place, but I believe that a wide meplat cast bullet can up the game significantly over the factory loads or even jacketed handloads - so that's what I am trying to do.

I am PMing you to talk more about trying some of the RD 175s

Thanks everybody

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Your going to be pushing it trying to get a cast boolit at 2200fps, I have seen it done but they had to play with their alloy and lube to get there.
I will be doing it eventually as I just bought the NOE version of the RCBS 35-200 but it supposedly drops them at .360 and that is the size of sizing die I bought as well.

I havent been able to cast for some time because of the fibromyalgia and boy do I miss being able to get out there and relax while casting.... :(

Doc

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doc - Really sorry to hear about the fibromyalgia - my best wishes and hope you can get back casting soon. I know that those velocities may be wishful thinking, especially while maintaining accuracy, but it's good to have goals right....:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've found that the wide nose of the RD190 is just a bit too big for my 35 with the microgrooves. If I seat to the crimp groove, I have to force the lever home and the bullets are strongly engraved into the grooves. I'm not a huge fan of engraving the bullet in the grooves... The 35-200, on the other hand, fits the Marlin like a glove.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Nearing project completion, at least my part.
The hollow point lot for TmbrWlker measures 14 BHN and 203.5 grains +/- one half grain.
This bullet should perform well in the 1600 to 1800 fps range.

The flat nose lot measures 26 BHN after heat treat and weighs in at 212.5 grains +/- one half grain.
While I've had success at 2000 fps in 30-30 with this alloy treatment, and lube, I usually hold to 1900. From my other posts, 1900 fps has proven enough many times over.
If TmbrWlker is going to get to 2200 fps with any degree of accuracy, this is bullet what he'll do it with... It won't be as pleasant to shoot, but each to his own. In the end I submit he'll find 1900 better all around.
NOE FN.jpg NOE35HP-1.jpg

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Here's a five shot group I shot using my 1957 Marlin 336SC in .32 Win Special. Bullet is the RCBS 08-170 cast from wheel weight metal with a small amount of tin added @ 182 grains checked wtih Hornady gas checks, lubed with Alox lube and sized .3225. Scope was a Leupold VXI 2x7x33. The velocity was 2300 fps using Hodgdon Leverevolution powder and CCI250 primers. The alloy has a bhn of 15. I have been using this alloy for almost forty years for rifle and handgun bullets.

This five shot target is from the same rifle but using the Ranch Dog 323-175 bullet that also weighs 182 grains sized, lubed, and checked. I size this bullet to .3233. This is my target load using Alliant 2400 powder, Fed215 primers and the velocity is 1744 fps. Not too shabby for a cartridge no one seems to bother with much. The bullets are my own home cast and the distance was fifty yards.

358 Win

·
Registered
741 Posts
I second the motion on Jerry at Carolina Cast Bullets.
I have already received my first order from Jerry after his stroke and the bullets were great. I now have an order in with him for more 165gr Ranchdogs in .310" for my 30-30's, some 265gr Ranchdogs in .432" for my 44 mags, and some 190gr Ranchdogs in .359" for my 35 Rem.
Jerry's stroke left him with some communication problems that he is in therapy for, but it did not affect his bullet casting.
I like their bullets and I like doing business with Jerry and wife Levelle.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I'd try some of the Western Bullet company's bullets. They say they are .358dia, but mine measure .360(so for under $20 you can get a bag of 100 of the RCBS bullet and see how they actually run), I picked up 200 of these to try, they are gas checked:
Lyman #358627

Lyman #358627
215 gr.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I didn't know there was an issue at Carolina Cast, Montana Bullet Company went out of business because of the owners medical issues. Hope the guys at Carolina Cast are okay and putting out bullets!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I may have some to get rid of..... PM me if you want.
NOE version of the RCBS 35-200 bigger meplat and sized at .360

35Rem_1.jpg IMG_0472.JPG

Doc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts