Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there something special about a RC36 in 32WS? This gun has been advertised for a bit and I'm curious. Local appraisal that he mentions means nothing probably but wondering what the collective thought. The "restored" part irritates me some but it may be a nice gun.

Thanks

"late 1930s marlin rc-36 lever gun. 32 winchester special. has been completely restored and blued. appraised at $600 from local gun store. has only had about 100 rounds through it in the 6 years ive earned it. and havent shot in over a year. stays cleaned and oiled and stored in leather case.

i will sell for $500 cash"

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I assume there is pictures of the rifle in question. I would want to know what "restored" meant. I have seen some "bubba-tized" guns in pawn shops that would be hard pressed to be used as parts, much less for shooting. Too, I have seen (and envied) pictures of many "restored" rifles done by members of this site. I have seen wood work that appeared to have been done with a 100 grit belt sander and others done with much less harsh materials. Did "restored" include an entire "cold blueing" or small spot cleanup.
If the rifle was done nicely, and it is a caliber you want, the decision is yours. I am always reminded of a sign I once saw in a shop my wife visits. It read "The time to buy an antique is when you find it, and have the money to spare". I think buying a long desired rifle falls into the same saying.
I have a 1947 model 36 in 30-30 that I really enjoy. It is getting a bit long in the tooth, but all the scars were honorably earned and I am very hesitant to do any work on it. Good luck and if you get it remember: pictures, pictures, pictures. Shehandoah

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd have a pretty hard time putting out 5 bones for a "restored" 36 carbine. Unless it was reblued in Turnbull quality rust blue (not hot blued), polished correctly, not just hit with a buffer to make it shine, and the wood done to the factory quality, not overly varnished and gussied up. Heck, a couple of months ago I picked up a 36 A (albeit in 30 WCF) for 4 bills out the door that was 85% overall. In this area a 32 spec. will bring a couple of bucks more, but most "redone" is buffed and hot blued and glossy varnish applied with an HVLP gun after a rough sanding to remove dings, etc., so I'd be hard put to buy for that kinda money. BUT, if it's nicely done, done the way the factory would have done it so it is refreshed, not redone, and you NEED a 32 spec. carbine, that could be a horse of another colour. Just my thoughts on the subject.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I believe RC means regular carbine with a 20" barrel. Completely overpriced.

"fk"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wondered about the RC designation. Yeah this cat says he won't send pics as it's too nice and must be seen in person. Its been for sale for 6-8 months now. He's probably smoking something that isn't authorized.

500 seems steep to me, but I just wasn't sure about the RC part.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'd have to see it but $500 does seem steep. I picked up a nice one for $250 a few years back. Its very hard to get your money back when you restore these guns. But I'd rather see it restored to new than all gussied up. They hot blued them & while Turnbull does nice stuff itd cost more than that $500 just to rust blue the gun. If I liked it & wanted it I think I'd pay the 5 bills. He needs to find the right guy is all & seems inclined to wait for him. ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
My feeling about modified or refinished guns- talking about vintage, classic, or antique firearms, is that it's kind of like a pickle; ain't never gonna be a cucumber again. :-\

The purchasing guideline I go by is that a collectible rifle that has been altered from the way it was born brings a shooter price - about 40% - 60% less than what it might be worth in original condition. A 36RC .32 Special is a nice rifle - if a nice, honest original one is worth $500 I think a nicely refinished one is worth $250 - $300.

Unless I'm selling it, of course. ;D

Cedar Creek

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Im pretty sure i saw that piece here about 4-5 months ago. The rifle was rebuiled and the stock has been cracked and repaired(the crack is easly visiable), at the time he was mis repesenting the description, and changed it after I saw it, allong with calling me names on the next few posts.
The bluing is a rich dark blue, almost like a pool of oil, I didnt even has interest in investagiting the s/n on the stock as he wouldnt work on the price at all with me. She has a clean bore also, ballard riffling. good luck and would like to hear your thoughts if you see here.

PS im a little biased as i really took offense at what he said about me. but i tried to not let that come through to much, and he was doing the same no pics see in person thing also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's a 1946 36-RC-A square bolt, I just purchased for 350.00.This one hasn't been re blued and the wood looks good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts