Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
actually my modified 870 with an extended magazine and short bbl. is my snake killer of choice. first 3 are 8 1/2 shot next 2 are 00 and last is a slug. this snake was shot with 00 cause that and slugs are whats in it as its kept closer to river (gators) than the house where the streetsweeper is.
Do it the Australian way ... .410 with 2 1/2 no. 9 shot ... less noise, no recoil, blows the head clean off at short range. That's why they call them a 'snake gun'. Use a double barrel, so if you can only see the tail or body you have a second barrel for when the head pops up. The .410 is the standard for farms. PS Nowadays we're only allowed to shoot them if we are threatened!

Our snakes rate as some of the most venomous in the world, and some of the angriest in summer, too! They will come after you, at times. Look up the Eastern Brown, Taipan, and Red Bellied Black. Biggest Taipan I've seen here came in at 2.3m, and was chewed up from one end to the other by one of our dogs (which was fine afterwards, we thought he was definitely a gonner by all the blood on him. Turns out it was the snakes).

·
Super Moderator
19,116 Posts
Do it the Australian way ... .410 with 2 1/2 no. 9 shot ... less noise, no recoil, blows the head clean off at short range. That's why they call them a 'snake gun'. Use a double barrel, so if you can only see the tail or body you have a second barrel for when the head pops up. The .410 is the standard for farms. PS Nowadays we're only allowed to shoot them if we are threatened!

Our snakes rate as some of the most venomous in the world, and some of the angriest in summer, too! They will come after you, at times. Look up the Eastern Brown, Taipan, and Red Bellied Black. Biggest Taipan I've seen here came in at 2.3m, and was chewed up from one end to the other by one of our dogs (which was fine afterwards, we thought he was definitely a gonner by all the blood on him. Turns out it was the snakes).
I don't know which is worse... the snake or the guy playing with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know which is worse... the snake or the guy playing with it.

This guy is an ABSOLUTE idiot, reaching into a hole to grab a red bellied black! He's wrong that they're only found 3 metres from water ... you find them in scrub country, and under timber, logs, stacks of fence posts, around buildings with mice, animal feed, etc. They can be cranky, and are VERY fast!

NEVER do something as dumb as what this video shows.

·
Premium Member
13,919 Posts
The Aussie is lots braver than I.

In South eastern NC we have eastern diamondbacks. Very deadly. SENC also has pigmy rattlers & Copperheads too.

All of NC has have canebrake rattlers to boot. Add in Coral snakes and cottonmouth and there's lot of snakes to bite ya herein The Old North State.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Remember the old song I don't like no spiders & snakes, I agree 100%also I use my shot gun on them 7 1/2's work wonders on their bad manners.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't mind snakes and like having non poisonous snakes around our Pennsylvania camp. A Rattlesnake in the woods is OK but one near the cabin is dispatched quickly. Same with those dam porcupines.

Padraig

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When I was a boy we used to catch rattlesnakes, and Copperheads and sell the skins to a shop in Ft Walton Beach called Diamond Jim's for pocket money. He made belts and hatbands from them. We got 50 cents for a Rattler, and a quarter for the
Copperheads.
Big money for a 12 year old kid in 1964.kept us in Comic books, and 22 ammo.
As a result I don't particularly fear snakes,
but caution is indicated where the poisonous varieties are concerned.
As an adult I have stopped and caught a good many rattlesnakes when I saw them crossing a road.
Guys I worked with thought I was crazy to fool with them, and didn't like having them in a box in the back of the truck either. I would usually take them out and dump them in the woods in remote areas.
A lot of people hate all snakes, and kill all they find.
I believe they serve a useful purpose
in the environment, so I rarely ever kill one anymore unless it is on my doorstep, and even then only if they are of the poisonous varieties.

·
Registered
13,444 Posts
The Mountain Lions ate all my barn cats,and every time I try to get new ones they disappear in a couple days. There's no keeping cats here anymore. I see bullsnakes and rattlesnakes occasionally,and there's never any mouse droppings anywhere indoors,so I imagine the snakes have taken over mousing duty. I won't shoot a rattler unless he's blocking my way into the kitchen door.
Mice and field rats are more distasteful to me than snakes. They're dirty and spread disease and filth. Foxes and coyotes get a free pass these days,too. The Lions moving in the last decade or so has changed the local dynamic. Life goes on.

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
when I lived and worked in south Texas many moons ago on the rigs I used to "hunt" rattlesnakes and use the skins for belts and hat bands. Made a many of them as those pesky snakes were attracted to the rigs. I used to give the meat to a few of the rig hands as they liked to eat it. Since firearms were frowned upon at the rig site I used a pellet pistol with a scope on it, shoot between the eyes and leave'em alone for a while to make sure they are dead. I killed a 7 ft one day made two belts from it.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I was on a project back in 70s in local area, which is rough country. Deep hollows and steep ridges and rock ledges. We had a sub
contractor drilling core samples. I was amazed at the effect the vibrations of the rig flushed out snakes of all kinds. The drillers all
had shotguns and shot everything that crawled. We have a good many Copper Heads but most turn out to be Rat snakes or common
water snakes. I don't like to shoot Copper Heads bullet holes reduce value of hide.

·
Premium Member
11,481 Posts
A $500 fine was imposed for killing a rattlesnake on Camp Pendleton in the 1980's and early 1990's when I was stationed there.

The recommended course of action was to call the MP's and they'd get the great duty of capturing and relocating the snake.

Our base housing units had been built in an area infested with rattlesnakes. Guys would go on deployment leaving their wives & little kids home for months at a time. My shovel and I got quite a reputation for permanently resolving snake problems in the neighborhood. Laundry rooms. Garages. Living rooms. Patios...

Then one day I got a call: "Can you come over and take care of this snake in our front yard? It scared my kids."

So, I grab the trusty shovel and start walking over. I see there is a crowd of about 20 - 30 people gathered to watch me kill the snake... Witnesses? A $500 fine?

I told her to call the MP's. :)

Guy

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
A man I worked with came to work one day and said he killed a snake in his front yard. When ask what kind of snake he said " a copper headed rattle moccasin".

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Not being a snake fancier myself, I do rather enjoy snake shooting though.
I would too Moof if I lived there. You've got a collection of the most poisonous snakes on the planet !! Inland Taipans, Brown snakes, Red bellied black snakes, Death Adders etc.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I have caught and shot a lot of snakes. I honestly can't remember one that was necessary to shoot. Some it made sense to shoot because of where they were at. If I couldn't catch it I would shoot it if around where people were at.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts