Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
wife has a ruger .38 snubbie shes never shot and wants to so i loaded some real low recoil rds (3.5 unique under 148 gr wadcutters). she was at store so i took one rd. to an outdoor storage space between 2 shop bldgs. to test recoil and there was mr. rattlesnake all coiled up about 10 feet away. no rattles. perfect. put the red dot on him and pulled the trigger. he never flinched. at all. damn sure wasn't hit. grabbed a 12 ga. nearby i hide for emergencys and he actually hit the top of the shed and landed on a shelf. took a pic and sent it to wife, she gets mad and says i shot another bullsnake. won't believe me that some rattle snakes have no rattles. had to google it for her before she believed it. she looked up pics of it and declared it to be a western diamond back. duh. she popped off 5 rds w/the ruger LCR and said no recoil, lets shoot. now she and her gal pal can go to reds in austin and shoot their LCRs. gal pal has factorys and says they kick too hard. ya think? snake2.jpg snake1.jpg snake2.jpg snake1.jpg
sorry for double pics. don't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
If you are shooting those things, count me in.... I believe my Ithaca 12 gauge pump will do the trick. What size shot do you suggest? My mother did an excellent job of instilling a hyper fear of snakes. I see you are in Texas..... Maybe a streetsweeper.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are shooting those things, count me in.... I believe my Ithaca 12 gauge pump will do the trick. What size shot do you suggest? My mother did an excellent job of instilling a hyper fear of snakes. I see you are in Texas..... Maybe a streetsweeper.
actually my modified 870 with an extended magazine and short bbl. is my snake killer of choice. first 3 are 8 1/2 shot next 2 are 00 and last is a slug. this snake was shot with 00 cause that and slugs are whats in it as its kept closer to river (gators) than the house where the streetsweeper is.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate snakes. All of them. Poisonous snakes scare the crap outta me. Never grew up around them so not familiar with what to do in snake country. Probably would sleep with one eye open. :)
Around here I use a shovel right behind their head.
me too. hate em all. wife gets pissed when i kill the bullsnakes and garden snakes. too bad. to me theres only two kind of snakes. alive and dead.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
My grandpa used to find rattlers, usually in the chicken coop. Kept a forked stick and an ax just inside the doorway and when he found a rattler he'd chop off it's head, cook the snake then sell the skin to a guy who turned them into hat bands.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
me too. hate em all. wife gets pissed when i kill the bullsnakes and garden snakes. too bad. to me theres only two kind of snakes. alive and dead.
preferably dead.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Lots of folks have never heard of a bull snake including myself until I worked up in the oilfields of Oklahoma out in the western part of the state and while motoring along by the big wheat fields I would see big snakes in the road and get out of my car and look at them. They were bull snakes but they look a lot like a rattler and have a nasty disposition when cornered. Someone told me that they were called bull snakes and that they eat other snakes and a lot of rats.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lots of folks have never heard of a bull snake including myself until I worked up in the oilfields of Oklahoma out in the western part of the state and while motoring along by the big wheat fields I would see big snakes in the road and get out of my car and look at them. They were bull snakes but they look a lot like a rattler and have a nasty disposition when cornered. Someone told me that they were called bull snakes and that they eat other snakes and a lot of rats.
absolutely true. problem is that sometimes by the time you get close enough to determine which brand it is, its either gone or ur toast. google rattlers. lots of studies of how rattlers are evolving to lose their rattles to avoid detection. and i've been told since childhood that lots of rattlers don't have rattles or won't rattle. kind of like a liberal.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Snakes are my friends in the hunting camp in Georgia. They don't bother me, but when I catch one and take into camp and asked where I caught it, the answer is always, "Under your stand". It keeps my hunting buddies on their toes!
like this one?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yep, those copperheads need killin.. we just have those an timber rattlers round here as poisonous variety. When I come across a timber rattler though, I give it a wide berth. Unless it's near the house, then I'll catch it an carry it aways away n release it.. timber rattlers seem to be few an far between any more.
My copperhead medicine is a ruger alaskan 454 casull with 45 shotshells pills. An they can't standem.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I live in FL,so snakes are common here.I identify them before I do anything.If it is a poisonous snake like a Coral snake or rattle snake,I kill them because they will attack my pets if given the chance.Non poisonous get relocated.
My buddy's dog was bitten by a coral snake.Had to be put down.Sucks!I think they have an antidote for rattlers.But either way,I do not want my pets to be bitten.I always lookout for them when they're outside.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
absolutely true. problem is that sometimes by the time you get close enough to determine which brand it is, its either gone or ur toast. google rattlers. lots of studies of how rattlers are evolving to lose their rattles to avoid detection. and i've been told since childhood that lots of rattlers don't have rattles or won't rattle. kind of like a liberal.
:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
me too. hate em all. wife gets pissed when i kill the bullsnakes and garden snakes. too bad. to me there's only two kind of snakes. alive and dead.
Nope, in my world, a garter snake can extend his hood, then fast as lightening, craw up my body and sink 3" fangs into my skull. When I see a snake on the screen I recoil. We had copperheads all over the place. Stay away from woodpiles, rocky places. I know a guy that was bit on fleshy part of thumb when he placed a hand on a brick window ledge. Somehow, the copperhead and got himself up there to sun. My grandfather and I were fishing and this young boy came up with a big string of fish. Grandad asked what he was using. "These her bitin' worms." I still get the willies over that one.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts