Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the 1894 Marlin site and noticed that must had a twist rate of 1 in 16-20", except the 44mag it's twist was 1 in 38. Why the jump? Also why is the 41mag a micro groove and not Ballard? Figured I ask the this forum since I see a lot of good info here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rate of twist

The weight and length determins the rate of twist.

The shorter the bullet, the faster it has to spin to controle the tendancy to wabble, this has been an ongoing thing from leaving the round musket ball,

SHOOT THIS THING

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Rate of twist

SHOOT THIS THING said:
The weight and length determins the rate of twist.

The shorter the bullet, the faster it has to spin to controle the tendancy to wabble, this has been an ongoing thing from leaving the round musket ball,

SHOOT THIS THING
OOPS!! :oops:

The length and velocity of the bullet for a given bullet diameter determines the needed rate of twist. Usually, the velocity is disregarded by most gunwriters. The longer the bullet, the faster it has to be spun by the rifling and the velocity. It's called RPM's. :wink:

Marlin chose the 1 in 38" for the .44 Mag because that is about what most of the old .44-40 WCF rifles had at 1 in 36". With the extra velocity generated by the .44 Mag, this twist rate will still stabilize the heavier 240gr bullet standard for the .44 Mag. In the future, if shooters insist on shooting 300gr+ bullets in the .44 Mag, Marlin may be forced to switch to a tighter twist to stop all the whining and complaining. Afterall, they did it recently for the .444 Marlin.

?Why Micro-Groove instead of Ballard rifling in the .41 Mag? :? Davon hab' ich keine Ahnung!

·
Banned
41 Posts
I'm not planning on using bullets greater than 300 grains myself. the feeding mechanism would have to be adjusted to load the longer cartridges and I'd give up being able to feed .44 specials in my rifle. I don't want to give up being able to feed .44 special and besides as one guy on another forum put it if I'm going to need a bullet larger tha 300 grain I'm going to be opting for another more powerful cartridge anyway. Can we say 45-70?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts