Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for one of these rifles. But before I take the plunge, just what do you think of it??? I've been pokin around on the board and hear that the ones that have them are changin out their trigger set for a rifle basix trigger. Is the trigger really that bad?? Possible to install my own rifle basix trigger? Or does the trigger just need some smoothing here and there. Have never taken apart a 25mn or seen a basix trigger so I'm not sure what's there to work with. would like to hear what your opinions are one the subject.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For $1.00 and 5 minutes of work you can do the trigger yourself. Replace the trigger spring with one from a papermate pen (same size and diameter) then lightly smooth the sides of the trigger and the insides of the two trigger posts to remove the machining marks.

The new Marlins 9xx have a different trigger so I don't know about them.

Total effort remove two-three screws according to how old the rifle is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Usuall a simple smoothing process (not grinding, just polishing) and a slightly modified spring tension make these triggers very usable. The rifle Basix trigger, is another fairly cheap option. For the money you wont find a more reliable, more accurate 22 magnum bolt action. I simply used a felt pad on a dremel tool, and some rubbing compound to polish my trigger mechanism and it improved greatly. Wasn't terrible to start but wasnt crisp either. Now it has nearly no creep with a very distinct break.
Hope this helps
Huntinbull

·
Registered
719 Posts
25mn

sasquatch......i ran across one at a pawn shop for $129, did what everyone else does...pen spring replacement and freefloated the barrel.....i can use CCI's to make 50yd raggy holes! these are fun guns and pretty cheap to shoot, and you don't have to p/u the brass! they fall of at exended ranges......150-200 yards, but that isn't what they're made for anyway.
good bang for tha' buck i think! :wink:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Ground Rodents fear mine.. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
25 mn

i love mine u wont regret buying one , trigger a little stiff, havent done nothing with mine yet , not familiar on how to take one apart and afraid of getting it back together.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A good friend of mine has one, and after seeing it shoot, I'm seriously considering buying one. His is very accurate. Glen

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did the spring and polish job on both my 25MN and 17V, at the same time. Took maybe ten minutes per rifle - only two screws - easy! The hardest part was getting the pens apart! :?

I didn't polish as much as some guys do, but I was looking for a basic improvement, not a target trigger. Save the $65 - $80 of a Rifle Basix trigger cost, and put it toward a good scope. :wink:

Now, both triggers are much smoother and crisper - not match grade but plenty good for bagging bushytails and bunnys. :twisted:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys

Does the spring have to be a "Papermate pen"? Or will any pen spring work.... How long will it last. Does it ever have to be changed again?

When I pick up a 25mn or a 917VS.... What scope is recommended for bushytails? Natchezz has a Redfield 4-16X44 and a Simmons ATV 4.5-16X40 on sale right now. Is either one worth the money???? Can't wait for the fall once again. Only 5 months to go till small game season..... :roll: :D

Which ammo is recommended too???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts