Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've been browsing around trying to do some research for a 336DL I found at a local gun shop. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I thought I'd post a thread and see what kind of results it would yield. Firstly, I'd like to clarify that this is a new Deluxe, not an A-DL. With that being said, here's what I know about the rifle thus far: I feel like this Deluxe is very special, mainly because it bears the JM stamping on the barrel, indicating it was built in New Haven CT. Since the Remington takeover occurred in the middle of the production of these Deluxe rifles in 2009, only the first half of production was completed by Marlin in the New Haven, CT plant and the other half was completed by Remington in their New York plant. I am curious if anyone knows just how many rifles were produced in the CT plant before production was transferred to NY? The rifle I found bears a serial number of 336DL095. It's the highest serial number I've seen of the Deluxe models with a JM stamp, indicating it may very well be one of the last rifles made by Marlin. Any input or opinions on my findings thus far would be much appreciated. The only picture I have is of the serial number, which I did upload. Sorry guys, I didn't think to get pictures of the whole rifle. Let me know your opinions...is the rifle a rare find or not? How much do you think it's worth? 336.JPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry everyone, I forgot to mention the condition of the rifle in case anyone wanted to take a stab at an appreciation estimate... It is immaculate. It looks like maybe 10 rounds have found their way down the barrel. It's in great condition.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum from southwest Louisiana!! Yer gonna like it!!! Second - regarding the rifle - my opinion - I think it would be cool to have one of the very last true JMs ever made (and you need to BUY it!!!). I sort of doubt that will really have a positive effect on its long-term value and that does not matter. Having one of the last ones ever made would be very cool. All the best.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum from southwest Louisiana!! Yer gonna like it!!! Second - regarding the rifle - my opinion - I think it would be cool to have one of the very last true JMs ever made (and you need to BUY it!!!). I sort of doubt that will really have a positive effect on its long-term value and that does not matter. Having one of the last ones ever made would be very cool. All the best.
:dito:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I completely agree with the your sentiment. Owning one of the last rifles Marlin made is very appealing regardless of whether it’s valuable or not.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Avgjoe711,

Welcome to the MO forum from CT.

I am a retired Marlin MFG Engineer that was working at Marlin in North Haven when that rifle was produced. I did NOT release those DeLuxe rifles, but I recall writing Process Sheets for additional polishing operations on both the metal parts and the wood.

The Metal parts were processed with a slightly extended Bluing "time" for a deeper Blued finish.

Unlike the Deluxe offering(s) from Remington in Ilion NY that were just gussied up production units, those North Haven DeLuxe rifles and components were all handled separately throughout the entire manufacturing/assembly and testing process.

If you were to stand a North Haven Deluxe rifle next to an Ilion Deluxe rifle, the difference in finish, fit and function would be very apparent.........The Wood quality itself would be very telling..........

With regard to your S/N 336DL095, ......I'd tend to think your rifle was part of the first or second lot of Deluxe 336 rifles built in North Haven............Those rifles were built in small lots of 100 or less, and were scheduled for 1 build lot a month........

The North Haven Walnut stocks were hand selected AAA Grade American Walnut with a lot of figure in the grain, and they also received selected additional handling and processing........(sanding, shaping and polishing)

The North Haven Deluxe rifles were more expensive to build because of additional polishing and handling on all components. They were ALL assembled by one Master Gunsmith, with hand fitting and hand honed fire control systems.

They were shipped in special boxes with a Wilderness Canoe scene that was MY choosing from several others. I recall there was additional documentation with them, too............I don't recall if the rifles were in a hard case within the box, but I seem to think so..........Did you receive the Box or case ?

The North Haven Deluxe rifles were expensive at the time, (MSRP @ $800.00+) and not many were made................

I would say you've found and purchased an exceptional rifle............

If you have additional questions, I may be able to help..........

Great Score!

Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With regard to your S/N 336DL095, ......I'd tend to think your rifle was part of the first or second lot of Deluxe rifles built in North Haven............Those rifles were built in small lots of 100 or less........

The North Haven Walnut stocks were hand selected AAA Grade American Walnut with a lot of figure in the grain, and they also received selected additional handling and processing........(sanding and polishing

The North Haven Deluxe rifles were more expensive to build because of additional polishing and handling on all components. They were ALL assembled by one Master Gunsmith, with hand fitting and hand honed fire control systems.

They were shipped in special boxes with a Wilderness Canoe scene that was MY choosing from several others. I recall there was additional documentation with them, too............I don't recall if the rifles were in a hard case within the box, but I seem to think so..........Did you receive the Box or case?
This is exactly the kind of information I’ve been looking for. Thank you Tomray. I read on another thread that someone founde a DeLuxe with a serial number 336DL15X and it had a REP stamp on the barrel, so I know the one I have has to be close to one of the last produced in North Haven. To answer your question, no it did not come with the box unfortunately. I know that would have increased the value substantially but I think it’s a great rifle nonetheless. Thanks again for your insight!

·
Premium Member
24,627 Posts
I wish someone would make stock sets like the wood used on those rifles.
Bishop used to make them but they're no longer available.
A high-comb monte-carlo stock would be nice.
I was thinking some of the DL's had that.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Congrats Joe - Nice rifle

Tom - As always, it is a pleasure to read your knowledgeable posts - even if it about a rifle not in my collection.
LOL!,..............Thank you, Mudge. I don't have one of those Deluxe rifles in MY collection, either..............

Tom

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
As Tomray pointed out...

That rifle is a North Haven, not a New Haven made gun...

IIRC Marlin moved from New Haven to North Haven in 1968...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts