Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had these knives for years. Replaced two couple years ago and noticed it said made in China on the back of the packaging. Well, these knives won't hold an edge. Now, the other day I'm in Cabelas and I see them with quite a price increase but they say made in Estonia. I trust this Baltic state more than China. So, do I buy these? Someone here must be in the "know" of Rapala knives. Please educate me.

Thanks,

BM

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I know that the old ones will take a fine edge. I've used Rapala knives for 50+ years.

Both Dexter and Victorinox make excellent filet knives, also. Easily the equal of Rapala. Reasonable prices. They will take and hold a razor edge and the handles have a good grip.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I bought mine around 1973. It says Finland on the sheath. Still razor sharp.
Paul B.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have owed mine for a long time. It is semi retired to the kitchen table and it's only job is to filet a slice of cheese at breakfast. I believe it says "Hand made in Finland by ?????" or something like that. I bought one of the smaller China specials at WM about a year ago, it will hardly cut butter.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yup. I bought two Finnish ones at a knife show back before the chinese flu hit. Can't remember what I paid but is was not much for the two. I now have three or four and no reason to have one except I wanted it.

Get on EBAY and buy an old one in good shape.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Sometimes the old worn tools are so much better than the new. There are a lot of gems on eBay if you know what you are looking at. My grandfather left me with a bunch of old tools that were a little rusty and I did not pay attention to. I refurbed a bunch of them and few are worth some serious money to those who know.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Had these knives for years. Replaced two couple years ago and noticed it said made in China on the back of the packaging. Well, these knives won't hold an edge. Now, the other day I'm in Cabelas and I see them with quite a price increase but they say made in Estonia. I trust this Baltic state more than China. So, do I buy these? Someone here must be in the "know" of Rapala knives. Please educate me.

Thanks,

BM
The same can be said for a lot of "Name Brand" knives we were used to. Many blades are now made in China----that was all part of selling America down the river campaign by Corporations. They make the stuff in China and sell it under a well known name and we the consumer are getting ripped off with inferior products made in China. I alway look at where the blade is made to make sure I'm getting a good blade: Boker=Germany, Kershaw= Kai Steel Japan, Spiderco= Seiki Steel Japan, Buck=USA, Gerber=USA or Germany, English Knife=Sheffield Steel, German Knife=Solengen Germany, Old Timer= USA, etc. The only other way to get a good knife with a good blade is to buy old used ones as Waffletop says........................

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to thank Dallased for resurrecting this thread along with Maineacs advice. Since starting this thread I've come upon some USA made fillet knives on the Buck website. They have both the USA and China versions with a $10 dollar or so difference. I'm going with the USA version for $50 or so, cannot remember the exact price.

Check them out guys, they look decent!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I own numerous knives and axes’ from Scandinavian origin and their steel is excellent. I can’t speak for the Chinese steel but I’m sure it is no where near the quality of the original knives. Like most brands, they get bought out and farm the manufacturing off over seas and try to milk out the name as long as they can, producing a inferior product.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'd like to thank Dallased for resurrecting this thread along with Maineacs advice. Since starting this thread I've come upon some USA made fillet knives on the Buck website. They have both the USA and China versions with a $10 dollar or so difference. I'm going with the USA version for $50 or so, cannot remember the exact price.

Check them out guys, they look decent!
I have found that Chinese blades do not hold the edge and they chip easily. Also, the tip of the knife is prone to break off with Chinese blades.

Reactions: bassetman1974

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Was gifted a "Helle" fillet knife a couple of years ago. Handmade in Norway, takes and keeps an edge exceptionally well. Holds an edge longer than my mid 60's "Normark" fillet knife that ran circles around "Rapala" knives from that era. Clearly one of the better gifts I have received!!
That's the good one !

Reactions: bassetman1974
1 - 18 of 18 Posts